Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

SPIN DRIFT!....I'm such a dummy

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #64  
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,368
Re: SPIN DRIFT!....I'm such a dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
The chart in wikipedia shows 6.5" SD at 1000 yards. That corresponds to what I seem to be seeing in actual range results.

I have an engineering background and am starting to dig more into the science behind all this.

When I dial in the correction my groups are more centered around my POA.

But in the mean time, I am going to dial in what my ballistic program shows for spin drift.
'Roger that' on all four of the above sentences. Except for the second sentence. The researching part is past-tense for me.

I'm experiencing about the same SD at 1000 yds. Between SD and Coriolis-caused drift (60.5 degrees North Latitude), I typically experience about 10" rightward bullet drift over 1000 yds. Which is very close to the predicted dope using LoadBase 3.0 ballistic software.

I noted this drift the very first time I moved back to 1000 yds about 3 years ago - before I owned any ballistic software. So I didn't experience the drift because I knew it was expected. Quite the contrary. AFTER experiencing this unexplained drift, I spent a lot of time researching the cause(s) of this rightward drift. Now I believe I understand it, and dope for it on all shots past ~5-600 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,114
Re: SPIN DRIFT!....I'm such a dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
What I don't understand is why the competition shooting community seems to have such contempt for the LR hunting community. You BR guys will always shoot better groups. You get benches and rests, wind flags, sighters and fairly level terrain.
I am part of the competition community. I don't shoot BR. I don't use benches; I lay on the ground holding the rifle to my shoulder with my hands. Flags are only about 20% of what I watch; the other 80% is the air. I don't always get sighters.

I only have contempt for folks who think there's only one way to shoot small groups and make claims that contradict the laws of physics.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Prosperity, Pa
Posts: 373
Re: SPIN DRIFT!....I'm such a dummy

Spin and Coriolis Drift

That was a great link Bart, here is another by Brian Litz that also applies.
__________________
Phil Conklin.... Shooting Instructor for The Best of the West
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 187
Re: SPIN DRIFT!....I'm such a dummy

i just read this whole thread, and the article and it was fantastic! god i cant wait til i can afford to get into practical long range competition!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: SPIN DRIFT!....I'm such a dummy
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't find my spin drift or coriolis. lisagrantb Long Range Hunting & Shooting 21 04-02-2011 01:22 PM
spin drift malcarjeb Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 67 12-29-2008 07:45 PM
Spin Drift As Well As Other Answers Boss Hoss Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 15 02-21-2008 09:59 AM
Spin drift Michael Eichele Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 12-23-2003 11:25 AM
Spin drift 308175 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 5 05-16-2003 01:09 PM

Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 26.00%
1,549 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.16%
1,916 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.00%
1,370 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.04%
598 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.91%
233 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.89%
291 Votes
Total Votes: 5,957
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC