Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

spin drift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: spin drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebob View Post
This thread is pretty darn good I must say. I was just wondering why couldnt a guy set up a target at 1000+ yards, wait a very long time here in OK for a windless day and zero windage at that range for dead center impact. Then shoot at 100 yards, the distance you are off would have to be spin drift wouldn't it. Then zero back at water ever range you zero at and add that distance as wind drift (break down into mph) like shawn. Would that work I now it wouldn't be perfect but it would close. I think it would be more off at closer range that at 1000 but then it would be easier to account for at closer range also. Heck I am tired just babbling somebody slap me if im getting off base into stupidness.

mike
That's precisely what I did also. I first zeroed dead on at 990 yds on windless days. Then I came back and shot at 300 yds and measure the leftward impact at 300. From there I could calculate the total left to right drift from 300 to 990 yds. Then I subtracted Coriolis drift from my total drift to determine spindrift. You could also shoot at 100 yds or 200 yds, and those might be better yardages. I used 300 yds because that's where I shoot to check my rifles zero prior to heading out hunting and I wanted to know the left dope required at that yardage to be dead on at 1000 yds.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Sorry, I did not see phorwath's last post.

Using LoadBase 2.0 I got the following results:

SF for 7mm = 1.52
SF for 300 = 1.79

Is that 1.52 & 1.79 inches at 1K?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebob View Post
This thread is pretty darn good I must say. I was just wondering why couldnt a guy set up a target at 1000+ yards, wait a very long time here in OK for a windless day and zero windage at that range for dead center impact. mike
Mike,

I'll make you an offer, then next time we get a totally windless day in here in Texas or OK let's get together and give this SD a whirl? Well, we'll probably never meet under those conditions, but if you ever venture down to TAC PRO here in Texas and want to shoot at a grand under tornado conditions (those are pretty much our calm days) let me know.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff In TX View Post
Mike,

I'll make you an offer, then next time we get a totally windless day in here in Texas or OK let's get together and give this SD a whirl? Well, we'll probably never meet under those conditions, but if you ever venture down to TAC PRO here in Texas and want to shoot at a grand under tornado conditions (those are pretty much our calm days) let me know.
Thanks for the invite,
i am in texas often on business I just might drop in if I am close to that area.

If your ever this way give me a shout I have some brand new targets I made without a bullet hole one in them yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Is that 1.52 & 1.79 inches at 1K?
That's the bullet SF = Stability Factor to plug into Michael's formula to calculate Spin Drift.

SD = (2SF)(Time of Flight)

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!