Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Spencer Bughole Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Spencer Bughole Rifle

Here is my 240Wby rebuilt by Clay Spencer with a Joel Russo Stock

The action is an FN trued by Clay
Barrel is a Spencer 30 inch NBRSA Heavy Varmint taper in a 1-8 twist built with his new barrel making machine w/ an “indicated” crown
Brake is a Spencer brake
Chamber is minimum SAAMI throated for VLDs
Luepold V 3 LR 6.5-20 X50mm
Burris 30mm signature rings with 20MOA offset
Stock is by Joel Russo with some BBob added vent holes. I also installed a set of flush cups on the left side of the stock as well as two front studs and a rear stud. Finish is simply sand down to 400 grit, seal and then Birchwood Casey Tru oil.
Spencer bedded.

This gun has to go to Wyoming in September for antelope hunting and when Boyd’s got the project behind schedule Joel was good enough to build me a thumbhole varmint stock in three weeks as promised. You can see from the groups that the stock is great.

On Wednesday I loaded up a series of cartridges with RL22 and GM210s and Berger 105s. I needed to break in the barrel and find the top end of pressure. Pressure topped out at 54.0 grains of powder in 90 degree heat. Barrel never got any copper in it at all. Just a little powder that cleaned up easily. Groups ranged from about 0.3 inches for three rounds with constant powder weight to about 0.8 for five rounds when powder was incremented by 0.2 grains per round.

Went back to the range today to test out 107SMKs and 115 Bergers. The gun did not like the 107SMK combinations that I tried but the gun really loved the 115 gr Bergers. Here are two of the three groups I shot with them. Group on the left is 51.0 gr of RL22 and the one on the right is 51.2 grs. The group on the right was two in the same hole and then the crosshairs lifted on the third shot as the trigger broke or it would have been on ragged hole (I was already cursing and swearing before the smoke from the brake cleared away and showed the hole to be high). The third group opened up because of too much powder in the case gave pressure problems in the summer heat so I had to quit for the day. Jimm sent me some 115DTACS to try so maybe next week we will see how they do.

Anyway, here it is the last of July and I have a long range antelope load shooting bughole groups.

Couple of words of thanks.

If you ask Dave King for advice and you don’t take the advice he gives you are really missing the boat.

Clay Spencer is a really fine person to deal with and delivered the gun way ahead of the promised date. The man is truly remarkable when it comes to making metal parts fit and work well together.

Joel Russo is responsive to your email and actually cares whether the customer is happy or not. The laminated stock is the first one I have ever had and if I had not already had a Macmillan on order for many months I would certainly put another Joel Russo thumbhole varmint stock on the gun Kirby is building me. I had a lot of fun finishing the stock and am really pleased with the way it shoots.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Spencer Bughole Rifle

very nice Bob, good choice going with an 8 twist.might give the a-max a try.i've only shot a few deer and g-hogs with them but they sure put a hurtin on things.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Goldurn it Jim C. , you've gone and done it !! Now I am as green with envy as the grass I mow all day [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Congrats on a project brought to a great finish ( not talking about the stock here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Also good to hear of good folks to work with .

Now , when you get that stick shooting good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] just bring it on out to Texas on one of the pd shoots Abinok and I go on a the -P- Ranch [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I really hope you can get those DTACS working for you with their high bc. If so that 240 Wby will outshoot the 6.5x284.

Jim B.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Well, Hmmmmm. Sure looks like you're in the berries (a good thing) with that one. You'll still have to lead those antellopees if'n they're runnin' [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Your rifle proves again, to me anyway, that the further away you get from factory they further away you get from ladder tests/ocw and burning tons of pwder.

Good goin!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 PM
SPONSOR

Great looking rig!! Now set up the lunarlope @ 500 yds and get to practicing.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Buffalobob

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

"Jim" and I e-mailed each other until he found the stock he liked, then he drove a few hours to give me a stock that he wanted me to duplicate the inletting off of. He was working in a short window in order to have everything to Clay Spencer so that he could do the metal work and bed the barreled action into the laminated stock.
I'm happy to see how well the project turned out.

Maybe with some good load development, you can get it to shoot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good luck on your hunt.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Per Request - BTT