Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Speer 50gr TNT expansion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Speer 50gr TNT expansion?

Hey guys. I have been shooting Nosler Ballistic tips for a number of years now in the .220 swift. Recently, I have been looking for bullets with more explosive expansion. I have tried the Speer 50gr TNT moving at 3850 fps - chronoed. They shoot very well on paper, but I was wondering how explosive they are? Anyone else tried these bad boys? Also, if they aren't the most explosive, which bullets are? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Speer 50gr TNT expansion?

Alucard,

Dang man, that is a tough question to answer. First of all I am assuming we are comparing bullets at the same fps. From experience with pds I have tried just about everything at one time or another, and I have some opinions, but proving them would be quite another story.

For many years I shot Noslers exclusively so I know what they do on pds. A friend of mine shoots the TNT. I would have to give the "explosive edge" to the TNT. But it would be a slight edge. Construction wise, the TNT should be more explosive also. That bullet cannot be pushed as fast as the Noslers and it will come apart.

As far as any one manufacturers bullet being significantly more explosive than another......my experience is they are all so close, the discussion would become subjective.

Jim
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the tip Jim!

Yes, I have tried a few things in my time as well. I have shot Noslers for some time and quite happy with the expansion. I had heard that the TNT's were THE bullet for destruction, and thought I would give em a shot. I have also tried Sierras Blitzking, but didn't find them to be as good as the Nosler on gophers.

How are the TNTs in longer shots? With the flat base will they shoot as good as the Noslers at say 300 yards? Just opinions of course [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Alucard,

Good grief, you just keep the pressure on donít you. My face is flushed and my hands are starting to sweat. And I am just getting over a real bad weekend also. I was hiding easter eggs for the grand children and I went too far out on the lake and fell through the ice and almost drownd. I still canít understand why no one in the family will talk to me, when I am the one that almost got killed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I really doubt you will see any difference in that limited distance. When shooting with my buddy with the TNTs, our correction for wind is often similar. It sounds to me like you have a top notch gogher load there.

Jim
Old 03-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Sorry to hear about your accident Jim. Good thing you are still with us though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Yeah, I ask the tough questions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I was just wondering how the flat base fares against the boat-tail design. I will have to try thm out and see how the work for me. Thanks for all the tips Jim!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Sierra Blitz king. BTW over 3500-3600 fps and the TNT's will come apart in the air---Speer claims this!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

While this is true, the TNT's can withstand about 200-300 fps faster and still hold together. I have chronoed the load that I was using and it averaged about 3800 to 3850 fps. I am assuming that they are on the VERY edge of coming apart, hopefully they all stay together for me though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]