Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Special Remington Sendero Run Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

Special Remington Sendero Run Interest

Please don't take this thread as a freebie shot at advertising, but my brother and I are in the process of starting up a small sporting goods shop and one thing that has stuck in my mind for the last few years was the slow dying of the Sendero/VSSF line.

A local wholesaler/shop, Grice's, is well know for working with manufacturers to bring out unique non-catalog models from time to time. The thought in my head at the moment would be to work with Grices to make a special run of Sendero's and VSSF rifles that have remained popular since the line came out, but were dropped by Remington for one reason or another.

The calibers I was planning on offering were the 222, 6mm, 25-06, maybe a 280 AI, and the 338 RUM. Lately, Grice has been limiting the number produced to the caliber, so it would be a one of 222, etc. venture to keep interest high, and without having a lot of overhead in the project for anybody involved. Granted, only the 06 and RUM were regular production models, but I feel the others should have a shot in the lineup as well.

Do you guys on here think that this would be a successful venture given the calibers that will be offered? If this truly proved to be successful, I would like to move on with other out of production models on a limited basis, like the old BDL Varmint Special line.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Special Remington Sendero Run Interest

If you did one in 6.5x284, I'd jump in. I think demand would be heavy but not in the calibers you are talking about.

Food for thought.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

If you could get Remington to re-produce some 700 Sendero SF's chambered in 280AI, and 7mmSTW, I would buy one of each, provided the prices were reasonable.

Maybe they could offer 2003 pricing on them, as a limited run? That would be really cool, too. Kind of like a "back to the future" type of thing. In that case, put me down for 4 of them......1 of each: .280 Ackley Improved, 7mmSTW, 7mm RemMag, and .308 Win.

Make sure they use the all stainless with the 26" stainless fluted heavy barrels and jeweled bolt...Just like the older model Sendero SF's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

One big decision would be designing these as Gen I or Gen II rifles in terms of stock design (and having HS on board to make the stocks) and if the barrel flutes would be blacked in.

Agreed, given the popularity of the 6.5 rifles, that would be something for consideration.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Which ever Gen has the thin grip with no palmswell, would be my perference.

I have big hands, but I just don't like a palmswell on my rifles. I shoot better without one.

No no no....No black flutes. I want them to look just like the original Sendero SF's. Which were all stainless fluted barrels w/ a jeweled bolt.

The SFII models had a palmswell and black flutes. They still make those. I think most folks would be after the original models, like the used ones you see on GB and GA selling for $1,600+....Obviously, they are sought after, since most of those people (including myself) bought one back in the day for under $800 brand new w/ tax and all.

Here's a few pics of my original Sendero SF 7mmSTW that I bought new in 2003.

This is what I'm after, but in all 4 of the calibers I listed:

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
If you did one in 6.5x284, I'd jump in. I think demand would be heavy but not in the calibers you are talking about.

Food for thought.
+1.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
+1.
6.5-284 in a long action +2.5