Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Source For Targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Source For Targets

I think you guys have solved my target questions

AJ, I really like the target from "Accurate Shooter" Hanging multiple targets is a very good tip for a wannabe.

Woods, We use the plastic carpet runners at our lake house. This stuff is very sticky and would work great as you suggested for longer ranges. I would like to find some 3-6 inch Orange stickers for 500 yards plus. Will be heading to Office Depot soon.

Britz, I am color blind and wear glasses, I have the same problem. Last night I found a cool target and what seems to be a fun alternative to shooting 3-5 shot groups at a 100 yards. Here is a link to a thread over at Snipers hide. I think this would be a good gauge to test you and your rifles capabilities. Can't wait to give it a try.
Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group Shots - Sniper's Hide Forums

Thanks again to all for your help.

Ray
Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Varmint Hunter

The black paint flakes off of the plastic covering exposing the white poster board underneath.
Your idea sounds very good and I'm sure that it works fine. For me, I just prefer targets that are more convenient to carry and use. I normally use many targets during a single shooting session.

I would add that when target shooting in the field I use "T" signs which are made of corrugated plastic (like the stuff used for the mail service bins) and have thin metal legs that can easily be pushed into the dirt. Realtors and contractors use this sign material too so it's usually easy to find. I just tape a paper target over the plastic sign board because holes are difficult to see in the self-healing plastic. Several "T" signs weigh almost nothing and can easily be set out at various distances.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

I prefer as simple a target as possible, I use these:

and just thicken up the cross a bit as I get further out