Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sorting bullets for accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Re: Sorting bullets for accuracy

I know what you mean...
The first thing I thought when I saw that cluster of holes was "grrreat... now ive gotta measure all my bullets..."
well...maybe I thought that after I quit smiling.
If this was a custom, id be happy, but being a bone stock rig(except the trigger) im elated!

Now im wondering if I get a sharpie marker and draw tiny pictures of smiley faces on the boattails....
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Unread 03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Didn't get a chance to shoot, kinda under the weather today, but I did run up and take a couple of pics,
No need to make fun of the camera, I already know it's horrable.

Here is a pic after they have been pasted over... you can see them better here.

And finially, a overall view, the black rectangle is 18"x27"
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

I just measured these 300 grain .338 Sierra MKs to shoot at 2000 yards this weekend. I have found from previous experience that .002" difference in ogive to base measurements can change POI about 27" at 1 mile! So it is very critical to me to measure each bullet before and after seating, even with great bullets like MKs. This lot is much better than my last lot.

Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 03-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

I just got another comparator yesterday and plan to load some 308 Win (the best and mightiest, most wonderful and accurate, all around class "A", top notch, one-size-fits-all chambering) today for some initial break-in and testing in a new rifle tomorrow.

I didn't think too much about the spread of the bullets measured but when I saw your non-Gaussian distribution I got a little worried. I could end up with little groups of bullets that don't conform. I guess they will be for those pesky barrel break-in sessions and plinking.

Who's comparator is that???
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

I ran across a question posed by Dave Tooley over on benchrest central, and the response from Henry C. (HBC).
I thought id post it here, along with the link, since it bears directly on this topic.

Dave Tooley:
"We can measure a bullet for a very wide range variables, in order of importance what do you think is the most crucial? If we can establish this , we can focus on the most important variables.
In the few tests I have done ogive to base length had much less an effect on BC than meplat uniformity. We have shot 10 shot strings with.030 difference in Ogive to base(6MM) and found a very small difference in BC. If I remember correctly it was about 1/3 - 1/2 as much as untrimmed meplats.
I feel that other than having a good bullet to start with, the single most important thing we can do is trim the meplats. It seems to have, by far ,the greatest effect."

I think consistent base to ogive is important for consistent velocities since with consistent base to ogive the bearing and engraving length will be consistent.

Once bullets are checked (and possibly found to be very consistent in the base to ogive dimension or at least segregated in equal lots) for base to ogive then one can segregate into lots of overall length or simply trim to equal length to get a consistent ogive length, consistent meplat diameter and more consistent BC to reduce vertical stringing at 1000 yards.

Then, probably the most important, is to look at the base for defects and eleminate those from record round bullets.

Probably least important, for match grade bullets, is weight variation but for a 1000 yard match it does not take long to weigh the record bullets to avoid a gross error in bullet weight.

Just a little more to think on....