Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Some Quickload help Please !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Some Quickload help Please !!

Can anyone please run some numbers on quickload to give me a start point for a load.
My rifle is due back from the gunsmith with a new barrel.
not sure what my coal will be as I have'nt had a chance to measure the chamber yet.

It is a 7mm WSM 25" barrel with 1 IN 8" TWIST, I will be using 162 Amax and 175 smk winchester brass and CCI LRM primers, need some help with powders.

Thanks in advance

Murph
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Some Quickload help Please !!

I've not reloaded for the 7mm WSM. But looking only at Quickload and with all the typical disclaimers (work up to your load, your gun can be different etc.)

For both of those bullets, I'd probably start with H-4831 (or H-4831 SC).

Check the hodgdon site, as they have actual max loads for those weight bullets.

Hodgdon lists a max of 64gr powder for a 162gr bullet and a max of 57.5gr for the a 175gr bullet.

The Quickload simulation lists a bit higher maximum for both loads, it also defaults the cartridge overall length much longer than the Hornady data.

Without your overall length, I'd hesitate to actually list the loads that Quickload estimates as your maximums.

Quickload uses 3.160" for overall length and the hornady data lists an overall length around 2.850" depending on which bullet.

If you can't find the powders that are recommended in these posts, post back with the powders you have on the shelf or can easily attain and I can look at those loads for you.

Let us know what your guess on COL will be once you get your barrel.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks AJ

I guess I will wait untill I get the rifle back from the smith, I will post the coal when I can measure the max seating depth with both bullets. I have been using h4831sc with Amax's but using my old coal means diddly squat. Patience is a virtue I have little of. I was just trying to jump the gun (pardon the pun) and get some numbers to work on. I can get access to almost all powders used for the calibre, but again that means nothin without the coal. My eyes have been goin square using the search functions on forums and manufacturers websites I suppose I was trying to get a quick fix. Like I said me and patience aint bed partners.

Oh well back to the waitin game

Murph
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Finally got the riflle back. Its looking good.

25" border barrel, shilen 5 1/2 profile 1 in 8" twist
winchester brass and cci lrm primers
Measured the max oal with 175 smk's it is 3.090, so I will be starting there and going shorter in 5 thou increments, to try and find a sweet spot, I dont want to be running at or over max pressure. cases neck sized to give 2-3 thou neck tension.

I would appreciate any data you could throw up with quickload, powders available are h4350, h4831, h4831sc, h1000, rl19, rl22, rl25,, n560, n160, n165, imr 4350, imr 4831. sorry for the big choice

And if possible can you run the same for 162 amax's

Thanks in advance

Murph
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Finally
25" border barrel, shilen 5 1/2 profile 1 in 8" twist
winchester brass and cci lrm primers
Measured the max oal with 175 smk's it is 3.090

Murph
For the data you've given and going only by Quickload I'd choose N560 for the 175 SMK seated at 3.090" OAL
64.5 grains gives 2881 fps, a load 15% under SAAMI max and a 91.8% case fill.
68.0 grains gives 3038 fps whch is at the SAAMI max pressure and a 96.7% case fill.

If it was my rifle I'd probably run it at whatever load in between those groups best. I usually try for 90-95% SAAMI loads and 95% case fill.

N560 gives highest muzzle velocity of the powders on your list with comfortable case fills. Reloader 25 is second choice. I like the of the VV 500 series powders. They frequently calculate to give the best performance.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:20 AM

Look I don't want to be a jerk but the advice on these forums is mostley speculative. do you really trust your brand new and expensive rifle to advice from some nameless faceless computer response. I have Quickload and with all the variables I have to enter and going through the powder burn rates seating depths and whatnot I would want to be there myself and do it myself. There are allot of people who badmouth forums like this one because of all the dumb ideas passed around on them, including this idea. Now for a sound idea go pick up a reloading manuel. Why do I care enough to say all of this, who knows.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan338Lapua View Post
There are allot of people who badmouth forums like this one because of all the dumb ideas passed around on them, including this idea. Now for a sound idea go pick up a reloading manuel. Why do I care enough to say all of this, who knows.
Murph asked for Quickload's suggested results. It's still up to any handloader to verify that the data is reaonable and safe regardless of the source. How can one do that?
1. CHeck powder manufacturers data for that cartridge and bullet type and weight.
If that's not available at least check cartridges with the same bore and similar case capacity.
2. Check bullet manufacturers data for suggested powders, again for the same or similar case capacity cartridges.
3. Work up loads carfully using a chronograph and verify that starting loads give the predicted velocities. If they don't it's a red flag that the data doesn't match the components.
4. Watch for pressure signs in the fired brass. The lack of pressure signs doesn't mean a load is safe. Some cartridges can damage some rifles designed to use them with no pressure signs. A knowledge of the ratings of the firearm, not just the cartridge, is necessary.
5. Make sure that the data used matches all of the compnents and dimensions.
6. Use common sense and be careful. Substituting N310 for N130 or Reloader 7 for Reloader 17 powder will ruin your day.

But are you saying no one should have posted an answer to Murph's question? I don't know Murph or what he'll do with the data. If Murph can't find the data for his particular powder, cartridge, bullet and seating depth depth in a load book is he any worse off for having asked for the Quickload data than by interoplating a load from what loadbook data is available?

I would suggest that Murph should buy his own copy of Quickload and use it enough to understand it's capabilitites and limitatations. Still, if he was a neigbor who dropped my my house and asked the same question he'd have seen the same data on my computer. If he took that information home and then blew up his rifle who is to blame? He didn't mention that his newly barreled rifle is using a model 1873 Springfield receiver and I failed to ask. Sorry about that.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 06-10-2009 at 09:44 AM.