Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Some 30 Cal BCs Tested

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Re: Some 30 Cal BCs Tested

No problem. Can we use your chronograph at the 500 yard target?

[/ QUOTE ]
sure I have a steel outsert so you dont hit any of the skyscreens. You either center the skyscreens or hit the steel gong

Unread 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Thank you very much!!!
Unread 08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Jon A,

That's what I call good stuff. The data is outstanding, your test was out standing and it was w/pleasure that I feel I was able to appreciate the confidence in your work.

I recall how uncomfortable I was at shooting over a 2-bit Chrony @ 200 yds.

The reticle in the scope is the one I dream about. Which scope/model? I'm guessing its an NPR2 ret????

Also what's the deal with the apparent flaw on the Accubond?

Also Ya got me on ICAO????

Again, good work. Very good work.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 08-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys.

d-a, 200 yds was just more practical. I could get away with testing so many different bullets with only one spotter shot for each before letting three fly at 200, I would have had to be much more careful at a longer range without a shield. I figure 200 is far enough to give accurate data for what the bullets are starting at. And I was pressed for time--that's a lot of walking.... Obviously though the farther you do it the better.

edge, I haven't shot the two side-by-side at the same velocity at distance. That would be interesting though since it looks like they start about the same but the 240 is supposed to remain pretty constant while the 210 is supposed to go down with velocity a fair amount.

At this velocity the 210 clearly has a much, much better form factor which isn't surprizing just looking at the two and the 240 makes up for it with the extra weight/SD. I was really hoping the 240 would measure higher from the 1:9 twist at the higher velocity, but it was within .004 of what I measured it at last year at a slower velocity from a 1:10 twist. Bummer. On the bright side it shows how much room for improvement there is...get a form factor similar to the 210 in a much heavier bullet and it'll blow them both away. Hopefully that will happen soon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

jmden, I used the Quicktarget program that comes with Quickload. You can do the same thing on JBM's Page . I believe those are Metro, divide by 1.018 to get ICAO. I figured I'd list both for the hell of it, hopefully that didn't confuse too many people. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They're just two different set of "Standard Conditions" that you should use as in ballistics calculations. ICAO is 29.92 pressure, 59 degrees F, 0% Humidity while Metro is 29.53, 59 degrees and 78%. There isn't much difference, Sierra uses Metro, Nosler uses ICAO, etc. So if you were using Sierra's Infinity program you'd want to use the Metro numbers because that's what it expects you to use....

Roy, that's an IOR 4-14X50 Tactical with the MP-8. The AccuBond had a scratch I didn't notice until I looked at the picture...dropped it on the floor. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Those weren't the ones I used for the test.
Unread 08-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

When you say you calibrated your chrono's, what do you mean?
Is it a comparison between them?
It's a great test. Thanks for the data.
Next time you set things up. Download a few for about 2000fps MV and see how low your BCs end up.

Just for fun
Unread 08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for reminding me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia - Shelter for Your WildSide -
Unread 08-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing!!!

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!