Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

solid copper bullet performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: solid copper bullet performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Actually, he might have done better withe 308 230. It has a greater SD and probably structurally more sound.
I can not say for sure Mark, but from what I know about the 230's, and other fragmenting bullets, it would have been a better choice for me.

In my 300 /230 OTM terminal performance thread there are many elk with pass throughs and a nice exit hole from the 230's at many different distances. They seem to hold up pretty darn good up close and far away from what I see. But I have never sent one up a moose's ass either.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I can not say for sure Mark, but from what I know about the 230's, and other fragmenting bullets, it would have been a better choice for me.

In my 300 /230 OTM terminal performance thread there are many elk with pass throughs and a nice exit hole from the 230's at many different distances. They seem to hold up pretty darn good up close and far away from what I see. But I have never sent one up a moose's ass either.

Jeff
I believe the shot was behind ribs to the far shoulder. Correct me if I am wrong.

Steve
Old 10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I am a little frustrated here so bare with me. That guy was chided by many here for incorrectly using the 250 g berger hunting bullet on moose. How is a hunter supposed to know which berger hunting bullets are structurally more sound?

Steve
As I mentioned in the other thread, I would never have guessed the 250 bullet to come apart like that. For me it's a learning experience and I don't lay "fault" with the chooser of the bullet other than "My" way of thinking is always go with the heavier bullet in big guns or heaviest practical for the cartridge.

I also agree that Berger, or any other bullet maker should provide guidance in the use and limitations of their bullets.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range thick skin bullets! Bergers failed

Ok first and second shot were behind the ribs on a hard quartering away shot bullets entered had approx eight inches of penetration then failed no bones hit. Bullets did not make it to the diaphragm....

Steve
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am a little frustrated here so bare with me. That guy was chided by many here for incorrectly using the 250 g berger hunting bullet on moose. How is a hunter supposed to know which berger hunting bullets are structurally more sound?

Steve
Well, if you really care? I would start by reading what others that use the bullet have posted and supported with real data. It has been offered many times by many guys using Bergers successfully for hunting to use "large weight for caliber offerings" I have posted this over and over stating that leaves the front portion to fragment off and a good chunk to carry on. I truly believe this to be the key. You will not find any post from me where I killed anything with a 180 or a 190 Berger in a 300 win. Nor will you find where I have taken any game with a 250 Berger from a 338. Not a good recipe in my book. To me velocity is very nice and I like it, but it is not the most important thing to me. What you will find is where I have posted many many kills and terminal damage photos from heavy Bergers. This is so a reader can make up his own mind. If you don't like what you see, don't use them.

I have a good friend that just took an elk yesterday at 1600 yards with a 338 Lapua AI I recently put together. This was his first hunting experience after taking my long range class. He is gathering terminal performance photo's and wound channel length for me now. That will be the first info I will have for that far on a 300 Berger elite hunter. So far all I know is 1/2 the jacket in cup form was found on the far side next to an exit. When I get all the data , and if it is supported well, I will post it. I feel this may be good data for guys pushing the envelope with large 338's.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Re: Long Range thick skin bullets! Bergers failed

Ok first and second shot were behind the ribs on a hard quartering away shot bullets entered had approx eight inches of penetration then failed no bones hit. Bullets did not make it to the diaphragm....

Steve
Ok I stand corrected. But with no pictures to see for our selves a "hard quartering away" shot behind the ribs could be rear quarters, or not? My bad and I appologise to my post on that.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Good conversation guys but I have to go. Gotta saddle up and push some cows down from the mountain pasture this afternoon.

Jeff