Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

"soft bedding" for forend pressure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

"soft bedding" for forend pressure?

I heard of this before but, I am not sure what they use? Some type of silcone I think..Black?? I have a 700 Lss in .300 Ultra that is just giving me fits and I would like to try this... I think?? Any body know how stable this stuff is??? Kinda think it would have to have some variance in denisty between temp range of say 15.0 to maybe 115.0...Any body try this??I have lready floated the bbl, bedded the recoil lug and tang...then full length bedded the action, left the bbl floating..Then a pressure point above the front stud... some promise but not what I want...Damn thing shot under .75 @ 3800 with a 125 b-tip....got a muzzle brake screwed on...and now the harmonics are screwed up unless some thing else went wrong???? Will not do better than 1.5 with the above mentioned bullet no matter where i seat the thing and at vel. between 3600, 3800F/sec ....Tried a 180 partition.... 1.5" at 100........ well look on the bright side right??? That barrel will make a neat lookin tomato stake with the muzzle brake!! HELP! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: "soft bedding" for forend pressure?

Fore-end pressure isn't really a good option as it can and will change POI from shot to shot. The amount of pressure changes depending on how you rest the rifle, etc.
Have you taken the brake off and then shot it? Did you get the same results as before the brake was mounted?
I would check everything else also. Make sure everything is tight- base, rings, action screws....
If still no luck try a different scope, maybe that one kicked the bucket.
Stick with the 125gr load, don't throw too many variables in at one time. But try to eliminate on variable at a time to pin point your problem.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

Have you checked the crown?

Possibly a nick from installing the brake causing the spread?

In the snipershide home page index there is a "black thoughs" or "Black rifles" section that covers the soft bedding you're referring to.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Check with greg langelius on www.snipershide.com -- he has played extensively with that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 04-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Take a breath, try the Nosler Accubond, the 200gr shoots flat amazing in mine. The BT's shot like crap.. 1.5 MOA I guess. The ballistic Silver Tip shoots way better than the BT in mine. Accubond an the A-Max do the best in mine, but the accubond is tops.

Forget the soft bedding, I'm with Chris on this. I'd float it with .040" clearance all around back to the recoil lug so no touching is even remotely possible, even with a bipod being used.

My Accubond load is 90gr Retumbo at 3.660" OAL and about 3015 fps, and that's about .180" off the lands too, but it shoots good!

Unscrew the brake and see if it still shoots the same as it had been, first thing I'd check out.

Wrap tape round and round the barrel near the muzzle to alter harmonics, retest, wrap more, retest etc and see if this changes anything.

Check one varable at a time methodically.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all guys......I cannot unscrew this brake!! think the guy used loctite and there is no way to do it....sooooooo ...ok the bbl is floated all the way to the lug...rest of the action is beded.....got some 180 Accubonds and some Retumbo,and AA8700....goin to the range in the morn.....we shall see what we see! Thanks again guys I will keeep u posted
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Cannot unscrew the brake??? How do you clean it and clean the crown? All the brakes I have can be removed and need to be removed for good cleaning. The crown could be messed up either by the brake installation or for other reasons.