Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

SO called experts talking about LONG RANGE SHOOTING....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Silver Member
I just happened to find this thread on the Varmint Hunters webpage today The V.H.A. Forum pertaining to Gordy and his article heres one of his quoetes

" Whenever I write an article that is published in Varmint Hunter Magazine, I get a lot of calls from interested people wanting more info. The current issue has my article on Extreme Range Shooting in it, and man has the phone been ringing off the wall. The magazine has only been out a few days and I can't believe how many calls I got already with people wanting to know more about how to do this themselves. It's a good thing I only answer my phone for three hours each day (2-5pm), or I'd never get any real work done

There is obviously a terrific amount of interest out there on long range shooting, so I'm glad people are getting a lot out of this article. To me, long range shooting is so very intriguing, and the more I do it, the more I learn and the better I like it.

I will soon be done with my next article on even more extreme range shooting - prairie dogs at over two miles, which hopefully everyone will find very interesting. Kinda crazy, but sure is fun!!"
Gordy Gritters.

Unread 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Silver Member
This is the questions I asked him on the forum.

Hello Gordy, I have a few questions for you. What Caliber and Cartridge are you using at 2 miles? How big would your groups be at that distance? How much wind drift is encountered with say a 5 mile an hour wind? How many hits does it usually take you to hit a prarie dog at that distance?
And finally how many prarie dogs have you actually killed at these distances? Thanks for your response, quite interesting. Flybuster
Unread 09-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Needs to be renamed VHDA
'Varmint Hunting delusions Association'
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Silver Member
What do you use to see a 2 mile P. Dog?

This may be ignorance on my part but how do you see a prarie dog at 2 miles. I was Antelope hunting the other day on my neighbors ranch and I couldn't find any in the town that we thought was about 2 miles away. There was bright sun with what seemed like minimal mirage as it was in the morning. Granted, I was looking at a tan background. I use a Swaro spotting scope with the big objective and at 60x I wouldn't have been much help to anyone shooting that far. I've found that if you get a whitetail buck over about 1200 yds. or so you can only tell if he "looks" like a good one. With limited lighting the range gets much shorter. The difference between a 140 and 160 inch buck would be very difficult if not impossible at 1 K so I have to assume a P. dog at 3500 + yards would be even harder. Kirby, Shawn, whoever, how do they do it?
Unread 09-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I think it's as easy for anyone as it is for you.
Just shoot & shoot & shoot till hitting something.
Big deal....

Was this directed at me personally or were you replying to the article?
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 09-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Gold Member
I asked that question myself, and they pretty much said optics then Ive seen pics since then with stuff that looks like a telescope some star gazer would use and saw someones range finder that looks like a LAW anti tank rocket launcher......I saw pics of that monster thing of a rifle 50 built for Lerch and Bill he had to send in two gun cases barrel&action in one and stock in another.

I lived in CO for four years, the air is much clearer out there than in the South, I have to guess that that helps alot.

I agree on judging a deer at a 1000 1200 yards but how the hell do you see a dog that far?
Unread 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Gold Member
3800 Yds??

Eye-golly....I can't understand why you guys are gettin ya panties in a wad!! Shootin....3800 yds. ain't a problem at all! Just takes a bullet with a great BC....and a good FDCC!!

"You don't have no idea how little I care!"

Monte Walsh