Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

So...Breaking in New Barrel Is a Scam?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: So...Breaking in New Barrel Is a Scam?

John Barsness has a comprehensive article on this subject in the Nov. issue of "American Rifleman." It is a very good read.

Basically he opines that the tradional barrel break-in on a custom barrel, and some factory barrels, is a waste of time, and exlains his reasoning in detail (including ten years of bore-scoping).

I was fortunate to spend some time hunting and chatting with John in South Africa (2007), and he is the "Real Deal." I don't know about some gun writers, but John can "walk the walk."
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Might as well throw my two cents in....

I've broke in three rifle barrrels, one new Sako Finnlight 300 WSN and two used Senderos, 300 RUM and 25-06. With the Senderos I used Gun Juice. Saw a reduction in fouling in each rifle.

I'll be posting a thread on my experience with the Gun Juice soon.

Mark
Old 11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

There is a very interesting article in the Nov. issue of American Rifleman on this subject. I have found that every barrel I've had is a little different but have learned that often a barrel will shoot better if you don't clean it to death. I have a 6.5 currently that likes to have some copper left in it. This is a custom (lapped) barrel made by a well known barrel maker. If I completely clean out all of the copper, it takes quite a few rounds before my group size comes back. CLEANER IS NOT "ALWAYS BETTER"! I have talked to some benchresters that have found the same to be true......Rich
Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

But what part of breaking in a barrel amounts to 'over-cleaning'?
How can anyone possibly harm their barrel -through cleaning- in the first 30 rounds?

An entire article was written about this?
Cmon....
Old 11-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Might as well throw my two cents in....

I've broke in three rifle barrrels, one new Sako Finnlight 300 WSN and two used Senderos, 300 RUM and 25-06. With the Senderos I used Gun Juice. Saw a reduction in fouling in each rifle.

I'll be posting a thread on my experience with the Gun Juice soon.

Mark
I'm a believer in barrel break-in. I now use Gun Juice when breaking in barrels. I've used Gun Juice on about 7 rifle barrels and one 454 Casull revolver. Same experience with every bore. Fouling is reduced and any fouling that occurs is removed ever so quickly with cotton patches and KG-1 and KG-12 products. I'm sure the bores would clean up equally well with other quality bore cleaners and patches also. However the bores don't require much cleaning because they foul so little. I believe the Gun Juice lays down a thin protective film which also helps protect the bore from corrosion.

It is time consuming to properly treat bores with Gun Juice, but I'll continue until someone comes out with a better mouse trap.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, what is Gun Juice exactly, and how do you break-in barrels with it?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Okay, what is Gun Juice exactly, and how do you break-in barrels with it?
anything between the 338 Edge and the 338 AM?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl