Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

So...Breaking in New Barrel Is a Scam?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

So...Breaking in New Barrel Is a Scam?

I was just on the SniperCountry website, and seen an interesting article. The author says manufacturers encourage barrel break in only so shooter's have to buy barrels more often. If you clean between every so many shots when breaking a new barrel in (according to this article) it is creating a metal to metal surface more often as the bullet passes through the barrel. This results in a barrel being worn down faster, and the manufacturers gaining more $.

There were also several people seconding this claim.

Is there any truth to this?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: So...Breaking in New Barrel Is a Scam?

I use to always clean my barrels with a brush then I decided one day to go with a broughton custom barrel so when I had ordered it and had my gunsmith install it I then called up Tim north at broughton rifle barrel and asked how I should clean it he told me never ever use a brush again he said we have great bore cleaners out their now just apply some on a patch push it through and waite a few minutes repeat again new patch with cleaner then finish up with a clean dry patch is nice and white. The cleaner I use is Montana extreme works great and I can honestly say that I've never had a brush down my barrel ever! I find it hard to believe that any barrel makers worth their salt would suggest such a thing most seem to me to want their customers happy in the end with their new barrel. Just my .02

Bigbuck
Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

This is always a great debate. I know two things. My new custom barrels copper foul easily in the beginning, and somewhere around 25-50 shots they stop fouling and start cleaning easily. And Lilja will not guarantee a barrel if you shoot molly coated bullets before broken in. Same with McGowen. These two things tell me that there is something to breaking the new barrel. Exactly when a barrel is broken in, I have not been able to figure out.

Hold onto your hat, this subject has potential to get interesting.

Steve
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I use to always clean my barrels with a brush then I decided one day to go with a broughton custom barrel so when I had ordered it and had my gunsmith install it I then called up Tim north at broughton rifle barrel and asked how I should clean it he told me never ever use a brush again he said we have great bore cleaners out their now just apply some on a patch push it through and waite a few minutes repeat again new patch with cleaner then finish up with a clean dry patch is nice and white. The cleaner I use is Montana extreme works great and I can honestly say that I've never had a brush down my barrel ever! I find it hard to believe that any barrel makers worth their salt would suggest such a thing most seem to me to want their customers happy in the end with their new barrel. Just my .02

Bigbuck
I always use a nylon brush, never a brass brush. What is your opinion on that?

Steve
Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Bronze Member

As far as the brush thing goes, I'm going to try and find some Wipe-Out. I've heard that stuff is pretty amazing, and a brush won't be needed at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceh12321 View Post
I was just on the SniperCountry website, and seen an interesting article. The author says manufacturers encourage barrel break in only so shooter's have to buy barrels more often. If you clean between every so many shots when breaking a new barrel in (according to this article) it is creating a metal to metal surface more often as the bullet passes through the barrel. This results in a barrel being worn down faster, and the manufacturers gaining more $.

There were also several people seconding this claim.

Is there any truth to this?
Anyone who believes that the barrel mftrs today recommend that to get more sales has a serious case of rectal cranial inversion.

Some mftrs make a recommendation and some do not. Some have different techniques, but most do not involve over 20 shots or so. Hardly the thing that is going to generate big dollar sales.

We have button barrels, hammer forged, and cut rifled. We also have no lapped barrels, single lapped and double lapped. Think things might be different between them. Some might require a break in and some do not.

Tim North (Broughton), Fred Green (Bartlien), Dan Lilja (Lilja), Clay Spencer (Spencer) Harts, Shilen, etc are all of the highest character and this is really stupid IMO to believe that.

BH
Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I always use a nylon brush, never a brass brush. What is your opinion on that?

Steve
I believe I had asked him about that and he said no brush . I will admit it was hard for me to not use a brush that's how I had always done it but now I kind of like the fact that I only use patches not that my way is any better than yours This is kind of like the Remington verses Savage debate We all know Remingtons are better! LOL

Bigbuck