Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Snug Bolt Lift?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Snug Bolt Lift?

I am shooting a 300 wm and noticing a slightly hard to lift bolt handle after firing. I am shooting a 190 smk, norma brass and using IMR 4831(72 grns) launched by a federal 210m primer. I realize that pressure must be up and am wondering what to do next. Would you seat the bullet deeper or back off powder level or maybe even change primers? Right now the bullet is seated into the lands slightly and is achieving good accuracy around 3050 FPS. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Snug Bolt Lift?

typicaly a stiff boltis a little ways down the list of pressure you will usualy see extractor marks then flat primmers then the sticky bolt and in a well cut tight chamber you may not get a sticky bolt till the pressures are realy high.
Most folks assume that just because they are getting sticky bolt lift that their pressure is up but in actuality it could be from the brass flowing forward just enough to get into a tight spot in the neck or it could be from a poorly cut chamber.
First check the case head and see if their is a slight shiny spot that would be where the extractor makes contact and if their is a mark then check to see if the primers are differant shape than when you seated them(flattened out) and if you have this then you probably have sticky bolt from pressure if not its from another reason.

Typicaly velocity is a good indication of pressure , if you running higher than most posted data then your probably over pressure but some guns shoot fast. 3000fps isin't unheard of in a 300Win mag with a 24-26 inch barrel.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Is this a custom rifle or factory?

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

I am shooting a trued mod 70 action on a 28 inch barrel from Hart. The action is skim bedded on an HS precision stock. I have not noticed any marks on the head or loose primer pockets? Any suggestions?