Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sneak peak into my latest build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Sneak peak into my latest build

Here's a sneak peak into my latest project...a neice rebuild.

Ever since my buddy bought his fisrt Weatherby MK 5 over a thirty years ago, I fell in love with the beauty of the Weatherby wood stocks. Iíve always wanted one. Synthetic stocks are the best but theres something about the warmth and beauty of a gerorgous wood stock that has always appealed to me. To be honest I was never sold on the Weatherby actions or barrels so I went other routes. However Iíve always wanted a beautiful wood stock based on the MK 5 design.

Recently I saw another gorgeous Weatherby MK 5 stock and said enough is enough I want one! Iím having a custom stock made by Accuracy Innovations. I chose a AAA blank of Claro walnut and settled for MK 5 style stock. Wes at Accuracy Innovations sent me a few pictures I thought Iíd share. He said the pictures he sent donít do the stock justice so I canít wait to get the rifle and new stock back. Iím having my left-handed Winchester Model 70 .300 WSM with custom 24Ē SS Bartlein barreled fitted to the stock. By the looks of the stock all that's missing is checkering and final finish. I've chosen a wrap around checkering pattern very close to that of Win Mod 70 Featherweight pattern

This is the first of two project Accuracy Innovations is working on for me. The second will be my Tikka T3 lite as soon as George at GAP finishes the rebarrel work. Let me know your thoughts.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sneak peak into my latest build

I have not wanted to build another rifle in several years because nothing stirred my interest. You may have just cost me a lot of money.

That's really a great idea but I would have gone Wby action and Wby checkering.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

Gorgeous stock but they put the bolt handle on the wrong side!

Jokes aside it really is a beautiful piece of wood there.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful, it's just hard to not favor a nice piece of wood over the synthetics!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Not a wood type guy, but that could tempt me to. Looks great, I want to see the finished product.