Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Smoothing the Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Smoothing the Barrel

[ QUOTE ]
......it just ran off, like water off a duck's back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thing happen using some military patches. Use an old cotton shirt cut into patches or go buy some different patches. I ran out of t shirts to cut so I bit the bullet and actually paid for some patches. (It just kills me to pay money for rags.) They work great.

Also dont use a jag. Instead use a smaller diameter NYLON brush and wrap the patch around it. For a .30 cal I use a .270 brush.

Coppermelt will attack the brass jag.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

A friend of mine who is in the BR Hall of Fame and is also one of the best gunsmiths in the world got me started on ISSO paste. Just follow the directions I use it on all of my guns including the ones I use in competition.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Gold Member

I've talked to David Tubbs about his Final Finish. He says that you can get some throat erosion if you fire the coarser grit bullets if they aren't needed. You need to assess the roughness of your barrel before starting. They really iron out a rough Ruger factory barrel!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

It is currently coming from Payson sports and trophy in Payson, Utah and some Sportsmans Warehouses. Run a search on "payson" and it should bring up several posts with the number. It is well worth the effort like ss7mm says.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

I have had that happen too once. I think it was the patches because it still seemed to clean as normal.

I just applied the stuff after the patch was wrapped and sitting inside the solvent port on the bore guide from Sinclair Intl.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 11-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Absolutely.
Sometimes (especially on custom barrels) all you need to run down it is the TMS or throat maintenance system to make it smooth again. It is a kit consisting of the last several fine grits intended to be shot several times every 100 or so rounds.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 11-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

kbb 468,

I am going to have to go against the grain here.

I have been polishing the bores for at least 10 years and have not seen any problems associated with the practice.

I always polish my high volume pd rifles within the first 50 rounds of the barrels life. My custom 22-250 was polished when new and each year before I store the rifle, I do a quick polish and oil. The rifle is 6 years old.

I polished 4 Savages (22-250) last year. One of them has the tendancy to shoot in the 1s. The other three are in the 2s. I certainly can't say the polishing did anything for accuracy, but we had all four out on the dog towns this summer and they all did in excess of 100 rounds (w/moly) with no decrease in accuracy. I can't prove they cleaned easier but in my opinion they do.

I have used Flitz, Mothers and The Wax Shop Metal Polish. I can't see a difference in them.

If you want my technique, let me know your e-mail and I will get it to you.

BTW, the Savages I have been around responded quite well to being properly bedded in a wood or high quality composite stock.

Jim