Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

SMK wrong bullet choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

SMK wrong bullet choice?

Ok the placement sucked somehow. But that was due to a deflection. I tried the 69 SMK in my 223 and hit the leg bone of a buck. Not large. Probably 120 on the hoof. Broke the bone, no penetration after that. It was the bone connected to the shoulder blade that covers the heart area. We followed for over 4 hours trying to get another shot in the clear to no avail and finally lost the blood trail totally.

SMK have to be larger bullets to use on game?

Not starting a flame, just curious as to why it went wrong. Most spent 69s I see on the rifle range are intact in the berm with little or no expansion. I was very surprised at this.

FWIW, Jeff [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: SMK wrong bullet choice?

Not to start a ******* contest but the 223 is kinda on the light side for deer. I think you might want to step up to a bigger cal at least a 22-250 or 220 swift if you are going to stay in the 22's. As for the matchking failing how close was he when you shot him? Most people here that shoot matchkings are doing so at longer ranges with bigger cals so the bullets work fine under those conditions.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Rost495,

You are asking alot from a very little bullet with a thin jacket and light lead core not designed for game in the first place.

I am not a fan of using any Sierra Mk under 6.5mm on deer size game and for elk and such I only consider the heavy 308 and 338 MK bullets as game worthy simply because they have the weight and S.D. to penetrate enough to easily get the job done.

Matchkings in .224 and 6mm are in my opinion best suited to paper punching as they do nto even perform well on p.dog sized game unless driven very fast.

I would also agree the 223 is lacking most everything needed for a good deer round. I am not saying it has not and can not be used on deer but it is an extremely speciallized round for this use and bullet selection is critical.

There will be those that say they shoot deer all the time at 400 and 500 yards with the 223 and thats fine I guess, in my opinion it is not an adiquate deer round and you just witnessed why.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

I'm with dakor here too. The .223 is a little light on deer, yes I read how Eskimos killed Polar Bears with a 22 rim fire and all those other good stories...... But for deer I think I would step up to at least a 22-250, or can the .22 altogether and go for something a little bigger. No flame intended.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Ok Guys

I've shot many barrels out with the 223. I could have solved the problem by simply head shooting but don't have a clue why I didn't try that, but the shot had to be quick. I'd heard all the pros about using the SMK for hunting. I always feel that shot placement is the true key. In this instance something was hit that was not seen. So I was not able to control placement. Had I shot for the head it would have most likely been a clean miss. Which would have been much better.

You've answered what I wanted to know. MK but only the larger ones. No one ever clarified that and I paid the price for it last weekend. I've shot so many 69s in matches I should own stock.....

I was just curious since so many say the MKs are so good. And in my experiences they normally DON"T expand so I was somewhat taken aback by what appeared to be the result of a varmint type hollow point. I've shot a bunch of deer out to insane distances with the 75 amax. Thats probably what I should have stuck with but I wanted a mag full of ammo.

BTW for those interested in my feeble thought train, I'd suspected the chances were much higher to run into a large group of feral hogs in that bottom and wanted something fit for knocking out a few before the group got away....... and since we were going so far off the road, that M4 clone with its dot scope and only weighing about 5 pounds seemed much better than a 10 pound shotgun or deer rifle..... Not expecting a deer really.

And then there are those that argue the 270 is enough for Elk and larger...... Comparisons are similar, size vs caliber. My suspicions are the deflection somehow started the expansion early before the bullet hit.... I do know that on an elk I'm uncomfortable with anything less than 338 diam.......

I'm kinda hoping all the above is an excuse to sell something and end up with a 50 beowulf upper. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS thought I posted distance-- it was 50 yards or so. Only about 2700 fps though. And yep, i've got a couple of 300 Wtbys I could have drug into the swamps. After it was all done I wished I'd taken the 590 and slugs like I almost did to start with. It was my poor choice but a well learned lesson. I won't argue that at all. It just seemed foolish to drag a 300 with a big scope into the swamp.

Thanks for the input, and all the civil replies. Its a rare sight that allows that all the time. Jeff
Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Don't eat your self up over it. That kinda stuff happends to everyone. That is how we learn. I would say at that distance and velocity I would have figured that bullet would have been able to punch through the shoulder and make it to the lungs. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Even with a thin jacket you would think some of the bullet would still make it through the shoulder on a deer.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

I've killed a pile of deer with the 69 Sierra as loaded in the Federal GMM 223 ammo. I suspect it was just a bad situation... the round may have just gone a little high on the shoulder and never entered the chest (pleural space) cavity to get lungs. I mostly used it for head shots but did a lot of double lungs too.. it's marginal for sure and requires good placement but as stated things didn't go quite correct.... Live and learn, folks lose deer to much larger rounds than this, be extra careful and picky.