Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

SMK for mulies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Gold Member

Re: SMK for mulies....

Thanks for all the responses...Jay, I have not talked to the guide about why, he demands a 7mag. minimum caliber and a 175gr. round.
I ASSUME, he has alot of guys coming out there, that dont know what the ^#&$ their doing, and wants to try to make sure the animal dies as quickly as possible, if hit w/ a bad shot.
He is a really great person, and seems knowledgable. It's too bad thats their people out there, that would NOT prepare themselves, or their equipment to be as professional as possible.
A great animal, worthy to be hunted, deserves our maximum effort,and preparation.
.......sakofan...
I ahd a bad time getting the Nosler BT to group.
I just picked up some more Partitions, that shot VERY well in my Sako...Go figure!!
I dont understand all I know about that one!!
2 rifles, that would'nt shoot Nosler BT's, but would shoot Partitions very well... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 07:57 AM
*WyoWhisper*

SAKO,

I don't understand that 7mm mag. minimum crap!!!! I'd be interestedin seeing why??? Big guns can be as conter productive as they are productive.. if a guy is afraid of a big gun.... he ain't gonna hit $hit!!! a 308 is plenty of gun for Mulies to 300 yards!!

A bad shot isn't gonna make the deer dies any quicker... TOO many people have the idea that a big gun makes up for poor shooting.. man thats just a load of crap!!! kinda pisses me off... if you can shoot a 243 into 1.5" at 200 yards you can kill a mule deer. I hunted a woman that took a 6mm rem. for mule deer, you could cover all her shots with a quarter at 200 yards and she killed a whopper 5X6 with that rifle .. the deer dressed at over 250 lbs!!!

Accuracy matters...!!
Old 05-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Silver Member

Sakofan, You should ask your guide, What would kill a deer faster a 7Mag in the ear or a 708 through the liver, not being sarcastic, well maybe, this guide hasn't heard the old adage, it's not what you hit em' with, it's where you hit em'. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

Wyo, Jay, Like I said, I ASSUME thats the reason he requires the 7 mag. & 175gr. bullet min. I dont know for sure.
It really is'nt an issue for me on the cal., only w/ the gr. bullet. I would prefer using a 168gr. bullet, as my rifle w/ its rate of twist, shoots more accurately.
I will probably load some 168gr. nad 180gr. and take both. If he makes me "weigh" my rounds, then I'll take evasive actions!! LOL
I totally agree that, this is unreasonable, but Iam sure he has his reasons. 4000 acres of prestine mulie country, that will have a total of 6 hunters on it, while the rut is in high gear, should make it worth my while!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Sakofan, So, If 7Mag w/175gr is the min, Is an '06' w/150gr not enough, since the '06' isn't as powerful as the '7', I'd have to buy a new gun for a hunt with him. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Were not taking this out on you, just kinda peaved at this guide, e-mail him and ask what rounds aren't allowed in a hunt with him. I liked to see that list. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Jay.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:54 PM

SakoFan... A 190 MK with H-1000 behind it will be hard to beat for a hard hitting, temp. stable round with the twist rate you have.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Writers Guild

AH, these must be the kevlar/ceramic skinned species that the US army have been testing their Abrahms tanks on. Very tough critters.

Take your guides advice. In fact, I would suggest you look up past articles on the 338 Lapua improved and the 338-416 Rigby improved cartridges. The reg Lapua is a bit small. Use a 300gr bullet and please limit your shots to 150yds tops. Barnes X, fail safes, depleated uranium core bullets would be a better choice. The 300gr MK are likely to rivet on the skin.

If hunting in groups, ensure that ricochets off the skin will not injure a nearby hunter or small city. Ensure that you can get three or four rounds into the boiler room quickly. This particular species have been known to attack and destroy hunters and their trucks after being shot with lesser cartridges.

Now you know why those Abrahms tanks have reactive armour. To protect the crew from these deer.

I think you get my drift. I would recheck what your guide really meant as a rifle/calibre min. If what he wants is correct, find another guide and place to hunt. They don't seem to understand what really matters in killing deer.

Jerry

PS if you really want to shoot big mulies, come up to Sasketchewan and Alberta. Their really big and don't come with bullet proof vests. Probably cheaper too.