Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

SMK modification for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 AM

SMK modification for hunting?

Has anyone tried modifying Matchkings by trimming the meplat to more like the gamekings? I would figure with a larger meplat and the thinner jacket of the Matchking, it should open well at lower velocities and longer ranges. The 125 gr SMKs in a 300 blackout would be prime example for low velocity longer range expansion.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: SMK modification for hunting?

I haven't heard of anybody doing that specifically for a hunting application. I've personally used the 175 SMK out of a .308 Win with very nice results (two or three steps before droping, mature mule deer) but the shot placement was good also. When using match bullets, or any bullet, shot placement is the critical factor. FWIW, I don't think Sierra recommends the SMK's for hunting so if you do use them, make sure of your shot placement and I think you'll be fine with the SMK's as they are out of the box. Mine opened up just fine on the muley.

Geb
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I did it a few years ago. 190smk and the BC fell off the table. As low as the hornady 190 btsp hunting bullet. May as well just use hunting bullets at that point.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Looks like a good time for an A-Max