Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

SMK

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,302
SMK

I just bought some new 95 grain 6mm SMK's, didn't know those existed. Maybe they will shoot when the 95 grain Bergers won't.

One question, I'm going shooting tomorrow with some folks, I have access to IMR 7828 and IMR 4831, and plan on using the 95 grain SMKs. I was thinking 48 grains 4831 or 49 grains 7828, but I have no clue how far SMK's like to be off the lands. I'm just going to load up a bunch of rounds and take them to shoot steel tomorrow, what would be a good guess as far as seating depth, .005" off?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
I just bought some new 95 grain 6mm SMK's, didn't know those existed. Maybe they will shoot when the 95 grain Bergers won't.

One question, I'm going shooting tomorrow with some folks, I have access to IMR 7828 and IMR 4831, and plan on using the 95 grain SMKs. I was thinking 48 grains 4831 or 49 grains 7828, but I have no clue how far SMK's like to be off the lands. I'm just going to load up a bunch of rounds and take them to shoot steel tomorrow, what would be a good guess as far as seating depth, .005" off?
Load up 5 or 6 of those bergers, right on the lands to shoot ay 2 or 300 tomorrow. Unless you have already done that.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,302
Well I just shot some more tonight at varying levels into the lands. But I'll load 6 up I guess, you and I can both take a 3 shot group.

Do you have a good rest? All I have is sand bags to use...
I have a home made bipod to use, but it might not be as precise.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
Well I just shot some more tonight at varying levels into the lands. But I'll load 6 up I guess, you and I can both take a 3 shot group.

Do you have a good rest? All I have is sand bags to use...
I have a home made bipod to use, but it might not be as precise.
Yep, I am bringing bags and a rest, plus crony, 2 range finders, targets, pda with NF program, 4 rifles, bino's, chair, stool, cleaning kit, ear muffs................................... and some drinking water. maybe some gallon jugs.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,302
NICE! Chrono will be most helpful, I'll bring a couple loads to test.

Would you like to shoot the 45-120 through the chrono? I don't want to be responsible for blowing it up if I flinch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,302
Oh yeah, should I load some SMK's up just to the lands? It's too dark to even test a load now. :(
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
Oh yeah, should I load some SMK's up just to the lands? It's too dark to even test a load now. :(
Well, here is what I can tell you for a fact. My 6mm/284is built on a wby action. The smith that built it put a long throat in it. I have laoded 70 SMK's and 85 gr SGK for it and both shoot very well. They were loaded to mag box length for hunting which is not close to the lands with this bullet. Probably .030 or .040 off the lands. So if it were me. I would load some at .030 and some at .010 and a few on the lands and shoot some groups at 200 and see how they shoot.

As for that cannon, I will bring a 1/2 bag of shot to put between it and our shoulder. That will make her a pussey cat.;)

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC