Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

SMK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

SMK

hi yall i have a question i see alot of talk about the SMK i

is this the searra match king thats on the federal gold match ammo and would work on whitetail out of a 308 win. thanks

JIM
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
I have used the 168 SMK in Gold Medal Match ammo on an asortment of deer sized critters and with spectacular results from the 308 but only out to about 360-400 yards. After that they wont open up much if any at all. Keep the 168 to those ranges and it will do fine. And yes the GMM ammo uses the actual Sierra match king.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

I use the 168gr matchking for fallow deer with great results, so far my ranges have only been 150-300y but they have always dropped them on the spot ;) .
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

a while back when the site was down, switching servers or whatever, i cruised around on a couple of other sites to attempt to get my shooting fix. i stumbled on a terminal performance topic and there was a link to a test done by the military. they mostly tested 30 and 338 calibers since these were the calibers of choice for sniping operations.most of the testing was done with Sierra bullets because the military and law enforcement were most interested in these. the bottom line was the SMK's would open and create a nice wound channel "most" of the time, but not always. so they started experimenting with opening the hollow point up a bit to see if this changed the results. they concluded after many rounds, that if the MK's had a .050 hole in the tip, it would open "every" time. now we're not talking about a few rounds here. it was many hundreds of bullets fired. they also concluded there wasn't any negative influence on accuracy. the accuracy was the same at long range but the BC was slightly lower.

i have since tried to find this post but alas i've had no luck. i mostly traveled accurate reloader but the post was on a tactical/law enforcement forum.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

thanks guys im going to give them a try in 2 weeks

JIM
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
a while back when the site was down, switching servers or whatever, i cruised around on a couple of other sites to attempt to get my shooting fix. i stumbled on a terminal performance topic and there was a link to a test done by the military. they mostly tested 30 and 338 calibers since these were the calibers of choice for sniping operations.most of the testing was done with Sierra bullets because the military and law enforcement were most interested in these. the bottom line was the SMK's would open and create a nice wound channel "most" of the time, but not always. so they started experimenting with opening the hollow point up a bit to see if this changed the results. they concluded after many rounds, that if the MK's had a .050 hole in the tip, it would open "every" time. now we're not talking about a few rounds here. it was many hundreds of bullets fired. they also concluded there wasn't any negative influence on accuracy. the accuracy was the same at long range but the BC was slightly lower.

i have since tried to find this post but alas i've had no luck. i mostly traveled accurate reloader but the post was on a tactical/law enforcement forum.

I would like to see that and follow up on it because it is one of those things I will have to see to believe. I don't believe it as the military as has gone to great lengths to prove the SMK is NOT a hollow point bullet designed to expand---The JAG wrote a white paper on it.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

The Military and the paper that Jag wrote on the SMK stated that the bullet would expand as would other Military bullets of past design..The conclusion was that the bullet was not designed as an expanding bullet,rather it was designed as a Match bullet for extreme accurasy and therefor meets the definition of a FMJ

Check out thess sites on the subject;

BLACKFIVE: Army JAG bans Effective legal sniper round

BLACKFIVE: JAG Bans Legal Rounds - Sniper Punished - Part II