Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sling studs mounted sideways

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Sling studs mounted sideways

I've seen several newer rifles with sideways mounted sling studs, and I assume it's becoming a new trend. My question is: How do most people carry rifles with a sideways sling? Also, are there any special tricks to installing sling studs in this manor? Specifically on a Savage 116 w/ an Accustock.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sling studs mounted sideways

I have a similar question. I recently purchased a CUV stock (choate ultimate varminter) for an S110 rifle build/upgrade that I've been working on (but it is currently stuck in a holding pattern). At the front, there is a stud on the bi-pod rail, under the forearm. I do have a bi-pod mounted, and the front end of the sling is mounted to IT. But since the rear of the stock has an elevation adjustment dial on the underside, I assume THAT is why there is no sling stud there. But it does have studs on each side of the rear of the stock. But it also has the side-studs at the front, on the forearm, in addition to the single stud on the bottom of the forearm's rail, where the front of the sling is currently attached. I am at a total loss as to how to attach the rear end of the sling to the stock, at the rear. I could just attach it to one side or the other at the rear, but that just doesn't seem right. And there's just no way that it looks right. So I am thinking that there must be some sort of "Y" adapter that I need, that attaches to the rear end of the sling, which would allow it to connect to the studs on BOTH sides of the stock, at the rear. Is this correct? If not, how is a sling supposed to be mounted, on a stock that only has the dual side-stud setup, at the rear?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

It is more of a military,LE, or tactical set up.That relates typical to afront carry.Sling sometimes are 2 or one point carry,for fast shooting around obstacles.Dont know if this makes sense.But I use a front carry sling on a regular stud application.The sling is a Safari sling,look it up.Front sling slide easy to adjust walking, and my hands are free to glass and climb rugged terrain.Rifle is over shoulder and across back,rifle sits level at my waist for quick access.This is my kid w/ same set up
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Sling studs mounted sideways-wyatt-mf.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM

6x6, thanks for the pick, but I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about
Sling studs mounted sideways-dscn1119web.jpg
You can see, it seems pretty similar to the normal setup, but the studs are screwed into the sides. I'm just wondering what the benefits are for the method, and the proper way of carrying this rifle.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

They are perfect for a TAB backpack style strap. The rifle will lay flat against your back with the bolt facing out rather than digging into your back. Great way to carry heavies. They are used with flush cups.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

That is VERY similar to my setup. But since I've only had "traditional" under-sling setups previously, I'm really scratching my head, as to what sort of sling setup this type of stock uses. Does it actually take 2 separate sings, with one on each side? Or is it some kind of 4-way sling, that is like 2 slings which are siamesed together, in the middle? But then how does one do it, if using the single stud (underneath) at the front, and BOTH of the side studs at the back, like I wish to do?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedel1777 View Post
6x6, thanks for the pick, but I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about
Attachment 11098
You can see, it seems pretty similar to the normal setup, but the studs are screwed into the sides. I'm just wondering what the benefits are for the method, and the proper way of carrying this rifle.
I always thought the side mounted studs were the guys who prefer to shoot their handguns sideways too. Not sure what the advantage is but it sure seems popular today.