Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sleve on bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sleve on bolt?

My feelings on sleeving the bolt would be pretty much the same as Pete Lincoln and Chris Matthews

But,I agree with what Brent is saying also.

In my experiance it is very common to see 1/4" groups at 100 yds. without sleeving the bolt. Anything past that in a hunting, tactical style rifle (I'm talking custom built with a good barrel,properly aligned chamber,reciever face trued,locking lugs trued and lapped etc...)would be the least of my worries as there are a lot of other elements to consider, but if you are looking for a bench-only style gun and want to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of it that you can,then my recommendation would be to just get a custom action.
FWIW,
308nate
p.s. or you could get a Savage action with the foating bolt head and not worry about sleeving bolts or bolt handles falling off or switching bolt faces in future
re-barrelings.This is what I do for myself.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

I would tend to side with the fact that the bolt needs to fit properly and tighter bolts feel better, but most importantly you need to feel confident with your equipment. If sleeving your bolt does this for you sleeve it or buy a custom bolt. I have 4 Remington actions (3 short 1 long) and I measured the diameter of the bolt verses the diameter of the bolt raceway. My ADL action has the sloppiest bolt I have ever seen. The bolt diameter is .690 and the raceway is .705, but the rifle shoots very very well (.08? best group 6br). The other actions are off of vssf’s (bdl) and they are way tighter. Bolts are about .693-.695 and the actions are from .701-.703. I recently built a 308 out of my adl action and bought a pacific tool and gauge bolt for it. The bolt measures .701” and the fit and finish is way better than expected. It is a one piece bolt (lugs and body). They are custom ground, so you can choose the fit you want and comes with your choice of a sako or Remington extractor cut and a tactical bolt handle (detached) for $125. These are perfect no truing needed. I would highly recommend going this rout instead of sleeving. Sleeving also includes having the bolt raceway in the action reamed, so near perfect fit is very likely. This is about as close to custom as it gets for a Remington. You can even sell your old bolt on e-bay and possibly come out ahead…… If you’re building a gun to take in the field and play in the dirt with I wouldn’t make the bolt super tight. If you’re trying to build a winning benchrest rifle I would pony up the extra cash and get a custom action.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would compare bolt sleeving in a fully accurized receiver to that of deburring your flashholes in your cases. When everything else if performed correctly, this will make little noticable difference to the overall performance of the load in all honestly.

It is simply another step in addition to many other steps that get us as close to pefection from shot to shot as possible.

Will you see a difference on target, on big game no. On paper, maybe if your rifle is quality enough and you can shoot well enough.

Still I do believe it benefits consistancy but if it is worth it for your rifle, Unless it is a fully accurized custom rifle I would probaly say no.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Gold Member

What i would do is sell the bolt on ebay. Then buy a new bolt from Pacific precision ( i think thats the right company) comes with a Sako extractor already fitted, the bolts are apparently oversized compared to the remington standard bolts and fit tighter and more snug. should aleviate the need for sleeving the bolt, and with the cash you get for the old bolt on ebay put against the new one, is probably the cheapest solution.
Pete