Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sleve on bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Sleve on bolt?

I'm having a Rem. 700 rebarreled with a Lilja barrel.(7 STW)
The gun smith suggested having the bolt sleved. Is this worth the cost?
Thanks for your input.
B...
Old 04-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sleve on bolt?

IMO,anything you can do to accurize the gun further is worth it.Might look at an aftermarket firing pin,spring or assembly also.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

If it, and all the other prior necessary steps are done correctly I would have it done. Kirby can do this correctly and the method he uses would be the only way I would ever have it done.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

I will go against the grain here and say don't sleeve. In my professional opinion it does not add significantly to the accuracy in a properly trued up action.
If you feel you need an action that tight then get a Nesika or another custom action.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Sponsor

OK,
I will split the difference. While I like a solid locking gun (I sleeve the rear and lock the front end up via a different method)for my own use, I can not say that it has made a difference in performance. Sometimes you just need to make the mind happy. If you don't sleeve and lock, and the rifle doesn't perform like you had hoped you will always wonder "sould I have...". In the end I believe that all other things being the same that perfect bolt alingment and tolerance is less critical than many other issue in building a precision rifle. However if you choose to get it done, get it done right.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 04-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

I agree with Chris Mathews on this one, i think the cost of sleeving the bolt doesn't offer enough advantages for the modification to be done. If the rifle is set up correctly any way then it will shoot. The idea of sleeving the bolt is to stop the lugs lifting and the bolt from slipping slightly of centre. if you make the lugs fit correctly between the reviever lugs and the end of the barrel, have the bolt close on the case with slight pressure then you don't need to sleeve the rear end of the bolt IMHO.. you can go mad and throw $thousands at a remingtion, but when all is said and done its just a Remington with remington resale values, you'd be better to look at a custom action rather than do everything possible to a Remington, it would be more of a sensible investment.
regards Pete
Old 04-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

IMO everything in the action must be trued with all cuts in referance to the boltbore axis. The bolt being held in perfect alignment with the chamber/throat/bore being the ultimate goal while lugs are seated symmetrically on abutments. I see refitting the bolt body front and rear a necessary step to ensure positive alignment and perfect lug engagement. How imperfect everything is if this is not done is up in the air and would depend on the specific rifle, and much like Shawn said, it will always be in question as to how much better it could shoot. I'd rather know that a customer's rifle is 100% true for less than two hours more work into it. To me, it's just peace of mind knowing my rifles are all built the same spec's and have 100% done to them that could have been. I know where "I don't" have to look for problems is what it amounts to, so that's the only way I'll do them. The reason I won't just "install" barrels, or any other work that I feel is a half way approach. Most see service as doing only what a customer wants done, and that's fine too, just not my approach.

Many want to sell the rifle at some point down the road, and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for putting money into a custom action instead. For many it's just more feasable to use what they have for a little more cash into it, or some may have no plan on selling so it isn't about that for them.