Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

This site is costing me Money=customizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: This site is costing me Money=customizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Criterion have a good following. You may want to look into Lothar Walther. That is what I run. They use a 550 stainless which is harder than the 416SS they use here in the states. It's made in Germany. Takes 6-8 weeks to come in. Obermyer is another to look into.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out. LOL, I'm not sure about Criterion, because I've only seen Stainless bbls from them, and with a Blued action, I want a matching BBL, but that's not really a problem...just me deciding on how I want the rife to look
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Most of these manufacturers offer Chromoly blued barrels. Obermyer is used by the military for their rifles. You could always use Dura-kote or Krylon to make it all look the same.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

If you get this part done add up the total cost to that point and start saving at least that much again for optics, LRF, etc....
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Most of these manufacturers offer Chromoly blued barrels. Obermyer is used by the military for their rifles. You could always use Dura-kote or Krylon to make it all look the same.
LOL, totally forgot...Jeez, I'm going to Krylon the new stock. Jeez total brain fart on my part

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackem View Post
If you get this part done add up the total cost to that point and start saving at least that much again for optics, LRF, etc....
yeah, going to add a ACI, a level, and then, in the future, a Nightforce NXS....as well as a new bolt and 300WSM barrel to make the the thing a true switch barrel, then a LRF later on
Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Okay...pretty much decided on a 24" McGowen bbl, going to decide on contour today, not totally decided between light varmint of heavy sporter. one thing I was wondering, 90% recessed crown or 11 degree angled crown. Also, I'm going to start loading 178 gr A-Max bullets, was thinking 1:10 or 1:11 twist for the new barrel, any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
Okay...pretty much decided on a 24" McGowen bbl, going to decide on contour today, not totally decided between light varmint of heavy sporter. one thing I was wondering, 90% recessed crown or 11 degree angled crown. Also, I'm going to start loading 178 gr A-Max bullets, was thinking 1:10 or 1:11 twist for the new barrel, any thoughts?
I would go 1:10 in case you get the urge to shoot some heavies some time. The 1:11.25 is the military standard. It will work well with all bullet weights up to 200grn. You won't be disappointed in the 178 A-max. I played with it quite a bit a few years ago. I got some really good groups with them at short range, but that was when I was still teething on precision reloading. I could probably do better now. 11 degree crown should be all you need. Someone with a little better knowledge on that subject should chime in. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your barrel choice and bullet choice. My problem is a choose a bullet, and then I start choosing other bullets, and before I know it, I have a shelf full of different bullets!! I'm so indecisive! I would have your barrel finish at .815-.875 at the muzzle. That should be about 2- 3# barrel. So figure that into your final build weight.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I would go 1:10 in case you get the urge to shoot some heavies some time. The 1:11.25 is the military standard. It will work well with all bullet weights up to 200grn. You won't be disappointed in the 178 A-max. I played with it quite a bit a few years ago. I got some really good groups with them at short range, but that was when I was still teething on precision reloading. I could probably do better now. 11 degree crown should be all you need. Someone with a little better knowledge on that subject should chime in. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your barrel choice and bullet choice. My problem is a choose a bullet, and then I start choosing other bullets, and before I know it, I have a shelf full of different bullets!! I'm so indecisive! I would have your barrel finish at .815-.875 at the muzzle. That should be about 2- 3# barrel. So figure that into your final build weight.
Thanks! I was looking at a little smaller diameter when I was considering a 26 inch bbl, but I think at 24 inches I can afford a little bigger.

I like the A-Max because, they shoot well for me in factory ammo and, according to the reloading manual, they will work on medium game, so I'll be able to use the same bullets for everything I do