Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

silencers are they really this expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

silencers are they really this expensive

I am finishing this up on my new 6x47 lapua. i have been kicking the idea of installing a suppressor and just wondering where the best place to get one and who has the best prices. i was talking to a local dealer that sells them and he was saying that it will cost me 1200 for the suppressor.plus the standered 200 for permit. does this soung right. i dont know how much i will use the thing anyway want to try a resonable prices one to see if i can justify the price.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Just sent off my paper work and tax money today. I didnt shop around because I wanted to buy one locally, think it was around 750 from shooters discount. Maybe he is selling a better supressor but 12 sounds a little high to me.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Wasnt as high as I thought.

Shooters Discount, Inc. - Liberty Suppressors - Black Raven 308 Rifle Suppressor
Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

suppressors

The price can vary a great deal. I have experience with Gemtech, Jet,
awc, and SSK inustries products. Check out their websites, and pricing is usually available.
Just a note. Although it is possible, it is a heck of alot easier to suppress a slow cartridge, and I don't belive your 6mm falls into that category. I know this hurts some of the long range attributes, but it is something to think about.
wk
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

are you sure that a suppressor hurts your balistics. i heard somewhere that it doesnt do anyting to it if anything it helps it. let me know i dont want to loose accuracy down range. i just wanted to be able to go shooting without useing hearing protection.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

a WELL BUILT silencer will generaly help with accuracy as it helps to deaden the vibrations in the barrel.
I have shot the AAC Cyclone on a few differant 308's and a 6.8SPC as well as a 223 and it works realy well even though the diameter is for the 308, and they only cost about $650 or so. I personaly have a Gemtec HVT on my tactical 308 and it works very well they cost around $800 and I feel that the AAC is the better can. SRT makes a good silencer called the "Shadow" and its very effective and its cost is around $700.

All these cans are made for the 308 and will function fine on calibers smaller than the 308 though not quite as effecient. The AAC Cyclone will work great on your 6x47 Lapua and it will bring the report down to that of a 22lr round , even quieter than the 22lr with Stingers , so its ear safe.
The only trouble that i have found is that some officers want to give you a hard time right off the bat even though they have no idea what the laws are and worst of all very few matches will allow you to shoot them in comp.

If you have access to a machine shop you can build your own silencer for just the $200 of the tax stamp , thats what i have been doing lately
Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

james
i thought that you have to go through the class 3 dealer. are you saying that i can build my own once i get the permit. and if so how hard is it to build one.