Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sighting in questions ?? Need help !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Sighting in questions ?? Need help !

Just about to take my new edge out for its first shots and wanted to run past everyone how I plan to attack things. Feel free to steer me in the right direction if anything sounds wrong.

Tomorrows conditions may prevent some long range fun, so I may just try to run the barrel in over the 100 meter range. I am going to clean every shot to the 10 th, then every second to the 20 th and 2 more cleans to 30 ? Should I allow the barrel to cool right down between every single shot and do I only need to run a patch through or solvent and the whole works ??

During this time I will zero the rifle dead on at 100 m. I will then shoot some 3 shot groups for confidence.

Over this time I will enter the RH, BP, altitude and temp from the kestrel into NF exbal and save the sight in conditions. Shawn has told me to run 2800 as the velocity figure , then tweak the moa adjustments if needed when I shoot some longer range targets for confirmation moa numbers. I'll probably shoot a 10 shot group at 400 and 700 meters and average the elevation to get to match exbal.

How am I going so far ??

I may need to shoot over a couple of days at 2 different ranges. One for the 100m and the long shots at another location. Will it make any difference confirming long range drop data at the second location if the 100m zero was done with different conditions .

Just trying to get it right. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks all

DUH
Old 12-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

When you clean during breakin, you will want to remove all the carbon and all the copper, even if it takes 30 patches at first. Then finish with a lightly oiled patch so you don't shoot in a completely clean and dry bore.

The way I do it is as follows (this is what Kirby had me do with my 338AM).

Run 3-4 solvent soaked patches (Butches Bore Shine solvent) then dry patches. If the bore is dry before its clean, I do a couple more solvent patches, until the dry patches are coming out clean as they dry the bore. Then once the bore is dry, I run a lightly oiled patch down the bore and I'm ready for the next shot.

Kirby also turned me onto using the nylon brushes to push the patches through, instead of the tight fitting jags. So when I push a solvent soaked patch through, the nylon jag comes back through the bore.

Also, make sure to swab/dry the chamber before you shoot. I do that by wrapping 3-4 patches around the nylon brush and spinning it as I swab back and forth in the chamber to get it perfectly dry.

HTH

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

I'm slow, so, what AJ said.

Plus, I doubt that by the time you get to the 400 and 700 meter ranges you'll discover you won't need 10 shot groups. I'll bet three will be sufficient.;)
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Unless the conditions change radically, the EDGE is going to be REALLY close to the same at 100m at both locations. Differences in your shooting form,bench,rest etc. will likely have much more affect than the different location, unless you are gaining a few thousand ft altitude or the wind is horrible.

Above all, have fun and keep copious notes.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Gold Member

Thanks AJ and Roy !

Just also wondering about the cooling of the barrel between shots. What do you think ??

Cheers

DUH
Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

By the time you clean it completely, it will be cool. Once you start shooting multiple shots between cleanings, open the bolt and give it a minute or 2. I've seen guys time 5 minutes between shots, but I'm not that patient.

AJ

Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

On different days when I am getting my basic drop chart data gathered I always shoot one known distance such as 100 yards or the last distance I shot the time before. I will only shoot one or twice depending on how well I am familiar with the rifle. For a new (unknown) rifle I will certainly shoot at least two bullets. I prefer 100 yards as it establishes my base zero but I can accept other distances. This makes me 100 % sure and positive my drop data is sound and that I can patch together different days of data.

Well, I will not insult Shawn by implying that the rifle might change point of impact as the barrel warms up. However, as a creature of habit and being as I try not to cook my barrel the first first day I have it, I like at least 5 minutes between shots so that I am close to cold bore status. Also, once the chamber area gets hot I do not like the cartridge to be in the chamber more than 15 seconds to avoid heat transfer through the brass case to the powder. Nor do I like a warm case to go into a freezeing cold barrel and get cold. Mostly nowadays I do not hunt with a round in the chamber unless the range is going to be short.