Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sierra Pro Hunter Hunting Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

Sierra Pro Hunter Hunting Bullets

Has anyone used the Sierra Pro Hunter bullets on big game and what is your experiance, how did they hold up perform.

They really shoot in my .243 AI and will be using them this fall on Antelope, Mule Deer, Black Bear, and Cow Elk.....................

G
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sierra Pro Hunter Hunting Bullets

I ran a 140 grain 7mm ( from a 7mag) through the hip into the body on a whitetail doe on a raking shot at 300 yards 6 or 7 years ago; It held 60% even going through heavy bone. I've killed a lot of other critters with them also(most have been pass-through).
They aren't perfect ballistically with the flat base, but they will do the job if you put them in the right place. Can't say much better about any pill I guess.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM

I have never used the pro hunters but have used the game kings in 6.5 at 140 grains and they have been nothing less than perfect in my opinion. From my understanding the pro hunter and the game king are very similar except for the boat tail so i would expect good results. Any sierra bullet is a good one in my book.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

They reason I asked is because The Pro Hunters shoot better in my .243AI than any boat-tail.....................the best groups I was getting with the boat tails was around .8-.9 Shooting the flat base Pro Hunters........ .404-.416 Thats before experimenting with bullet seatin depth...........

Im afraid to change ..................it is works dont fix it.

Greg
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

You can read my experience with the Sierra bullets in your post in the reloading thread. One thing I will add to that post is this. I have noticed that the Sierra boat tailed Game King bullets seem to expand a little quicker than the Pro Hunter flat based bullets.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Greg,

In almost all cases, they're exactly the same as the SGKs, differing only in the BT where the SPH are FB designs. Otherwise, same jackets (exactly) same core material, etc.. The Pro Hunters are usually a bit better than the SGKs about core/jacket separations, but again, that's sort of the nature of the design. With the exception of their 30-30 bullets (which use a dual-tapered jacket design), there's really no mechanical locking mechanism to retain the core upon impact.

If your rifle is shooting the flat based bullets better, you may have a tight/loose spot (or spots) within the bore. This is one of the common problems we found when BT bullets (be they SMKs or SGKs) aren't shooting, but FB designs like the SPH are.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

For more then 15 years I shot every thing from deer, caribou and moose with ProHunters