Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sierra Matchkings for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Re: Sierra Matchkings for hunting

LOL, I am sorry, I am still laughing about Ric's last post.

Depends on what fieldpoint your using, weight of arrow and speed your "flingin" her out at I suppose.... Yet again I
"fling" my field points off my long bow, some would say its unethical though, 750gr Arrow @ 197fps, buuut I dont know.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Never post and run! See Ya! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Bill

Not the laughing stock by any means... it's a real common question and your reply is the fairly standard answer for someone that hasn't used them for hunting. You were just the unluck fella to broach the dreaded "SMKs won't work as a hunting bullet".

The regular SMK users are just standing by as they sort of enjoy these regular discussions. Use of these bullet for hunting has made history for several of the longest threads on some hunting boards, a hot topic.

The SMK's I've recovered were virtually indistinguishable from a Sierra GameKing. Very high impact speed and they lose their jacket and/or break up, slower impact and they just suffer some jacket separation on occassion. I have a picture of a 300gr 338 I dug out of a moose I shot at 439 yards with a 338 RUM...not too much digging really as it was on the off-side at the skin.

I've many times set out to recover 175 and 168 SMKs from deer but it seems it's either a simple double-lung, I'm too hurried (crop damage shooting) or the impact site destroys the bullet (SPINE shots). I do have a few more recovered bullets around the house, maybe I can find some and post pictures.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:51 AM

APB,

Yeah true Parrot Head here... guilty as charged....
All I had was beer... a few boat drinks in me and I mighta said more than I should ;-)
"Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in attitudes, nothing remains quite the same..."
"If we wern't all crazy, we might go insane"
"I'm growing older but not up"
"wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"

Mr. Baily... not the laughing stock ... your "well they didn't work one time" they can't work at all attitude is typical....
The guys here have been doing this for a long time .. me just 7 years or sooo.. but I havn't had a matchking fail EVER... even had to put one deer down after a Partition bullet kinda forgot to expand enough....

water has never been a good test for any bullet... even though the makeup of most of the things we hunt is primarily water based and bullet not expanding in a jug of water does not represent and accurate test to the bullets expanding ability....

if you decide to spend enough time here.... you'll soon realize Matchkings Just Plain work...

now where is that Cajun Bloody Mary I was woking on....
Old 01-31-2005, 08:39 AM
SPONSOR

I'll make one last stand here.

I never said these bullets wouldn't work. I just think there are better, more effecient hunting bullets out there. I will choose to use these.

I realize the jug of water does not accurately simulate flesh. However I do know I watched my buddy put three rounds in the same jug full of water, and he thought he had missed as did I, wathing through a 6.5-20 Zeiss Conquest.

If you use the SMK and are happy with the results, fine. I'm not telling you to stop using it. I'm simply saying I won't be using it anytime in the near future.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM

Bill
I will make one quick surmise that the first hit probably emptied the water for starters. The next 2 only had plastic to stop 'em otherwise you would have at least seen a impact mist. To each his own - I use hundreds of SMK a year on small game because of their superior accuracy and find the pink mist not as exciting as Vmax however they are still somewhat torn apart and quite dead.

Ric
I will have to catch up for a few "boat drinks" sometime and I think a JB verse is pertinient here.
"Come and follow in our wake, you've not that much at stake
For we have plowed the seas, and smoothed the troubled waters
Come along and let's have some fun, seems our work is done
We'll barrel roll into the sun just for starters"
APB
Old 01-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

There was a massive thread (over 100 pages) on the http://forums.accuratereloading.com website.Could this be the one you were refering to? I had the direct link, before my computer died. Brutal nasty stuff about how matchkings don't work on game. Then some of the guys from this site showed up (dave king, DC et al.) and showed them the proof. great reading (especially for entertainment I laughed so hard one night ice tea shot from my nose!) in fact, if it weren't for stumbling on that thread, I might have never found this site.