Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sierra Matchkings on game thread on Accurate Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2001, 12:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Sierra Matchkings on game thread on Accurate Reloading

While I have no personal experience with
the match kings on game I have a customer
who routinely uses them on moose out of
a 338 378 and he is very pleased with the
performance at various ranges.

Ross
Old 12-31-2001, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member

I had to restrain myself from signing up for that forumn and giving Bill T a piece of my mind.

That guy's basic problem is that he can't do it and to admit to himself that others can would be a serious blow to his fragile male ego. Guys are so predicatable sometimes, it makes me sick.

My wife could outshoot Bill T with her factory 30-06 Mod 70 with a 10x scope, shooting it off a bipod. Using this rifle and my handloads, I shot a 7" group at 500m. The rifle cost under $400 and is so lightweight we had to add a recoil absorder to make it less painful to shoot. So much for Bill T's $3000 heavy bench rifle making up for shooting skill theory.

It really must suck to be so narrow minded and lacking self-respect. He must have very limited expectations if he can't even imagine being able to shoot at distance.

Someone should have taken that guy up on his 200yd .22 rimfire bet. I have killed gophers at that range with a .22 and it is definately easier said than done.

Having gone through all that, about Sierra MK's, I am going to try the Nosler J4 match bullets on deer. They shoot really well in the 30-06 mentioned above and I figure that 168gr of lead and copper ought to do in just about any deer as long as the bullet is placed properly.

A while back Dave King said something to me that I think has a lot of truth to it. He said that all you have to do is poke a hole in a deer's lungs and/or vitals and it is going to die reasonably quickly.

Peter Cronhelm

PS THANK YOU for this forumn where we don't have to listen to the likes of Bill T and his friends.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:30 AM

Peter I agree I often wonder how Muzzloaders using pure lead balls could kill a fly the way some of these people act! I don't think they ever realized the slower impact velocities, range, accuracy of rifles, etc...

Narrow minded...

Mike
Old 01-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome Bob..You will like it here...
Old 01-03-2002, 02:01 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Hi Bob.... Ditto on Boyds comment.. sit back relax and feel at home..

I have learned more in 3 months here than I have in 30 years of hunting and 3 years of reloading....
come to think of it I'm afraid my head might pop.....
Old 01-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Bronze Member

What's the latest over there? I haven't even bothered to look at that thread since I said "goodbye"...

Are all those who can't and haven't and don't know how still trying to rule the shooting world?
Old 01-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

It's over 250+ posts now. I stepped out of it a while back. Darryl, Boyd, Dave King, and a few others pretty much mopped up the slop lately.

I wanted so bad to take Bill T up on his offer, but I'd hate to travel to AZ only to have him no-show.

I need to spend more time here...

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Gary Rihn ]