Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

SIERRA M.K. OR SCIROCCO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Bronze Member

SIERRA M.K. OR SCIROCCO

I AM NEW TO LONGRANGE SHOOTING, WILL TRY 4 TO 500 YDS FOR WHITETAIL THIS YEAR, ANY OPINIONS ON SIERRA MATCH KING VS SWIFT SCIROCCO IN 7MM REM MAG. PREVIOUS LONG SHOT IS 250 YARDS.
7 MM. REM MAG
24" HART BARREL
GUN BUILT BY JARRETT
Old 08-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: SIERRA M.K. OR SCIROCCO

George,
Those two bullets are very different in construction and intended purpose. Supposedly the Match King is a paper puncher whereas the Scirocco has its core bonded to the jacket and will retain about 80% of its original weight.

Despite the paper-puncher tag the Match Kings kill a lot of big game animals, particularly by guys on this forum. I killed critters with both bullets last year - they all ended up about equally dead.

Suggest using whichever bullet your rifle shoots best - if you are hunting deer you won't go wrong if you put either bullet through the chest at whatever range you can shoot to.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:00 PM

George, don't use the MK's for whitetail in a 7mm. I'd use a matchking in a 250 or 300 grain for one of the big 30's like the 338 lapua or 338 ultra-mag.

But....in the smaller 140 - 160 grain bullet weights of 7mm's, use the SWIFT SCIROCCO.

I personally would use the Barnes XLC 140 BT or the Barnes X 140 flat base. A lot of guys do not like them but I get a little better than MOA accuracy and out to 500 yards thats plenty. They are the best killing bullet I have ever seen.

Also, you might want to rebarrel to the 7mm ultra mag if you want to get into longer ranger shooting.

Happy Hunting
Old 08-27-2002, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I have shoot factory Norma 140 gr 7 rem mag with SIROCCO ,in a MACMILLAN rifle

I have make very nice group , aand I am very impress by
the quality of the bullet ( making )
the accuracy
the expansion and how tought in the bonded core
Very good BC

SIROCCO is a real nice bullet with a quick expansion but a weight over 85% after expansion

Sierra MK expansion is very poor that less burst and to get peentration you need to shoot heavy SMK .

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 08-27-2002, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

I have shoot factory Norma 140 gr 7 rem mag with SIROCCO ,in a MACMILLAN rifle

I have make very nice group , aand I am very impress by
the quality of the bullet ( making )
the accuracy
the expansion and how tought in the bonded core
Very good BC

SIROCCO is a real nice bullet with a quick expansion but a weight over 85% after expansion

Sierra MK expansion is very poor that less burst and to get peentration you need to shoot heavy SMK .

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 08-31-2002, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

George,

If you can, pick up a copy of this month's "Shooting Times". Interesting articl regarding bullet performance, subject being .30 cal 180 gr bullets by several well known manufacturers. Performance in detail with photos. Surprise to me, the Swift A-Frame had highest weight retension of any at 3000fps impact(incl X-Bullets). Scirrocco's retained about 65% weight at that speed. At 2000 fps they ALL retained 80% or better, and that is the issue I think. What impact velocity do you project? At some point no bullet will expand on impact so placement becomes important. FWIW, the above article includes Sierra Spitzers, Hornady SST's and Nosler Ballist Tips.

I would choose the Scirrocco over the MK, but truth is, if you actually squeeze the trigger on something at that range and connect with any bullet, premium or not, it's pretty much toast. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Bronze Member

thanks for the information on bullets, I had a Nosler b.t. blow up on deer shoulder w/ 7mm rem mag at 175 yards, that scared me, I heard the Scirocco was very accurate bullet, I have loaded som Sciroccos and hope to try them pretty soon, will post how they work.