Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Should I shoot It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Re: Should I shoot It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
If the rifle has been shot before, I would go ahead and shoot it. The only collectable that you should not shoot if you wish to maintain maximum value, is one that is original, as new, and "unfired". Keeping it in good shape and shooting it should not change it's value if it's been shot before.
That is my feeling also, but rarely can I not find info on the net about a weapon, so I figured I would error on the side of caution and see what the forum thought. Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhostler View Post
Without seeing it I would venture a guess of $500 to $600 as long as the wood is ok. So I would shoot a few rounds through it and check it for accuracy and use it. I would however stay away from the new hyper velocity loads not knowing how these actions were heat treated.
Db
Are you familiar with this weapon or did you find something on it online? I have found a couple like it, but not exact. I am guessing it was produced in the forties for Abercrombie & Fitch for their store line, but I can't verify it. A guy here in Arizona will do a background on it for $100, but I don't know if it is worth it. Let me know what you think. Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Do you have a good gunsmith you can ask? I have gone this route before with good results. Most older, good gunsmiths have forgotten more than I will ever learn.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosshooter00 View Post
Are you familiar with this weapon or did you find something on it online? I have found a couple like it, but not exact. I am guessing it was produced in the forties for Abercrombie & Fitch for their store line, but I can't verify it. A guy here in Arizona will do a background on it for $100, but I don't know if it is worth it. Let me know what you think. Thanks
Just a guess from on line resources and auction houses. The high dollar guns have very fancy wood as well as double set triggers.
Take it to a gun show. Even if you were told it was worth $2000 dollars would you not shoot it? I would at least run some rounds through it.
Db
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 AM

I read this forum it's really nice and informative i really like it i get most of useful information from it which can prove beneficial for me i was need some similar post's but i get your post on first search on Google search engine it's fulfill my need i really appreciate it and keep it up!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhostler View Post
Just a guess from on line resources and auction houses. The high dollar guns have very fancy wood as well as double set triggers.
Take it to a gun show. Even if you were told it was worth $2000 dollars would you not shoot it? I would at least run some rounds through it.
Db
Update- After putting ten rounds inside .5 moa at 100 yds., I think I'm keeping it for a while.I sent the gun to a pro here in Arizona to find out more about it. Have yet to receive anything, but appreciate all the supplied info. This thing is a shooter.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Glad to hear that. Some, of my favorite rifles are the old ones. Sounds like a shooter.
db