Well we finally got out to shoot the new 270's this weekend. Me and BJ got to our shooting spot only to have it start raining. We decided to set up in one our large barns and shoot out into a bank about 75yds away. After a couple of warm up shots BJ printed a 3 shot 1 hole group with his Allen Mag.
We couldn't figure out the proper method for measuring this group would be so I just measured the outside of the overall tear and it was .442.
Well after this I had to show what my rifle could do so I cleaned it and fired 3 rounds. my group was just a hair bigger than BJ's. My first shot was a oily barrel and the shot landed just a little low, the next two went in the same hole about .2 of inch above the first shot.
We were both pretty impressed and we were getting chrono readings around 3140fps with 97gr of WC872 below the 169.5gr WildCat RBBT ULD.
I also shot my 25-06 with some 115gr berger vld's moly coated and h4350. I started at 47gr and loaded up to 51gr. All the loads shot under 1" with 51gr shooting just about 1/2" overall. I was pretty happy with this and I never got any pressure signs. I am gonna go shoot again today and see what kinda groups I can get at 300yds with the 51gr load. I have also loaded up to 53grs to test the max load with.
After this was all over I was dying to try and shot something at some kind of decent range. The rain stopped just long enough for me hang our gong up at 400yds and I drove back up to our shooting spot. I didn't know what drop to be expecting so I just dialed in 6 clicks up and 0 for the wind which was virtually still. I have no idea why I didnt calculate more drop because my ballistics program calls for about 4 moa.
I fired the first shot and BJ said he heard something hit but the gong didn't move. I fired the second shot and the gong dropped to the ground. I aimed toward the gond laying on the ground and my third shot landed in front of it an skipped into it. As we were driving down to the gong I realized how little drop I had figured in and when we got to the gong we saw the result. The first two shoots had cut the t-post the gong was hung from in half. Both shots had landed within less than a inch from each other. i wish all three shots would have been on paper so I could measure th egroup but either way I was pretty impressed.
While we were setting at our shooting spot I broke out the swaro range finder so I could how far it would range. On a distant tree line I got back to back readings of 1991 and 1990yds. I am going to try again tonight and see if I can get it to range 2000yds.
Here is a pic of BJ's 3 shot 1 hole group.
I will try and get some pics of the groups I shoot tonight.
Take it easy