Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shortest Barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 07:55 AM

Re: Shortest Barrel length

Moderators do destroy the look and balance of a rifle without a doubt BUT they do protect hearing and enable hits to usually be seen at lower scope settings. I have one with and one without, usually the one with is the choice.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Bronze Member

IAN

When we meet at the range next Monday i will insist that your first round is fired without ear protection. I am sure you will become a convert to the moderator [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Then after using your puffs gun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] we will conduct the same exercise with my 25-06 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
The only reason my rifles dont have them is i am not prepared to spend money threading factory barrels and the wallet will not stretch to custom yet.

NICK
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Try 21 3/4"... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, I agree they do ruin the look of rifle and I only have the .223 done at the minute because of the noise pollution issue. With the Stalking in mind it may help with bagging more Hinds in the season, have to wait and see. As for the cost, well if you need 3 mods it nearly a grand for the privaledge. So I have approached the fuzz and they are saying I can use one for all. Common sense prevails!

Cheers again chaps.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

SHARP INTAKE OF BREATH! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Puff's gun 'eh, better then something thats not much better then a machine gun round [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or a Swedish anomaly with a throat that long that bullets are half way up the barrel before they engage the rifling. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ian.

PS. you can bring your own chilli sauce! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

K/scope,
I dont know much about moderators but do they have to have a calibre matched bore similar to a muzzel brake in order to work properly?

Ian.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Bronze Member

I suppose thats debatable, I have a T8 on the .223, which is suppose to fit a 30 cal. There are others available in different hole/expansion chamber sizes. It does the job very though.