Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Short range chambering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Short range chambering

So since I finally finished my 7/300WSM build I have been kicking around the next project. I want to put together a fairly lightweight (8lbs +/- with scope), inside 500yrd easy handling rifle. Priorities for the round are in this order. This would be primarily a deer rifle and may be pressed into service for Elk or Caribou. 1. As flat shooting as possible out to 500...something like a 120-140 Accubond at over 3000fps would be great. Zero holdover or under for any range inside 300 or 350yrds on deer sized game. 2. Capable of the above in about a 24" #3 or 4 contour barrel 3. Factory ammo-just in case- would be a plus 4. Barrel life, if it will get 700-800 rounds then that's good enough. 5. Rather if it had no belt, but that's not hard and fast. What do you think? What cartridge comes the closest?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Short range chambering

.270WSM, or .270Win would be my first 2 choices for shooting a 140 gr bullet and be 3000fps, and have no belt on the case. And factory ammo is available for both.
If you want the factory rifle with a 24''bbl, and still meets all the other requirements you listed, just go with the .270WSM, and look no further.
I love the .270 cal, so Im a bit Bias, and opinionated,but Im right

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

6.5 WSM---love mine.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

I love my 6.5 WSM too, Boss Hoss. But we're out of luck looking for factory ammo!
The 270 WSM sounds like the logical choice but if a guy can stand a belt on the case the 7mm Rem Mag would be another good one. It will sling a 140 gr bullet faster than the 270 WSM even out of a 24" barrel.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

hmm...6.5WSM does sound interesting. If I let the factory ammo issue go, what kind of speed is it capable of with a 140gr bullet?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

150g bullet at 3,000 fps = .30-06Spr. Hornady 150g SST out of a 24" barrel has a PBR +/- 3" from line of sight of 290 yards on deer size targets.

.270 Win, 140g Hornady SST, ~3,000 fps, PBR +/- 3" from line of sight to 300 yards on deer size targets (dinner plate size kill zone).

The .30-06 offers a wide range of bullets, excellent barrel life, ammo availability about any place on the planet. Easy to load for, wide range of suitable bullets and powders, can be shot with out a muzzle brake on rifles easy to carry. Lot to like about that cartridge. You can say the same for the .270 though it may have somewhat less barrel life - it's still easy to find ammo and is at least in the contest for best deer cartridge on the planet.

Either one of these good old cartridges will work fine on the specified game at the ranges of interest. Nothing exotic. Work real fine, last long time, no muss, no fuss, meat in the freezer.

There are more exotic cartridges that will do the job but they extract a penalty in barrel life and availability I don't like to see in a hunting rifle, and they don't do it enough better to be worth the hassle. But that's me.

Fitch
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
150g bullet at 3,000 fps = .30-06Spr. Hornady 150g SST out of a 24" barrel has a PBR +/- 3" from line of sight of 290 yards on deer size targets.

.270 Win, 140g Hornady SST, ~3,000 fps, PBR +/- 3" from line of sight to 300 yards on deer size targets (dinner plate size kill zone).

The .30-06 offers a wide range of bullets, excellent barrel life, ammo availability about any place on the planet. Easy to load for, wide range of suitable bullets and powders, can be shot with out a muzzle brake on rifles easy to carry. Lot to like about that cartridge. You can say the same for the .270 though it may have somewhat less barrel life - it's still easy to find ammo and is at least in the contest for best deer cartridge on the planet.

Either one of these good old cartridges will work fine on the specified game at the ranges of interest. Nothing exotic. Work real fine, last long time, no muss, no fuss, meat in the freezer.

There are more exotic cartridges that will do the job but they extract a penalty in barrel life and availability I don't like to see in a hunting rifle, and they don't do it enough better to be worth the hassle. But that's me.

Fitch
All true enough, I will be perfectly honest and say what they lack for me is in the "interest" category. The .308 bullet is blown around by the wind a fair bit more than the same weight smaller bullet too though.

So far I'm thinking the .270WSM wins out for a cartridge with fairly available factory ammo. Plus, good brass is available for reloads. I could always go with a 120gr bullet and really flatten it out for short ranges on lighter game like deer. And work up a 140gr bullet load for larger game.