Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

short necks.....what problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

short necks.....what problem?

I have a question to those of you in the know.
I have been shooting a 300WinMag for over 20 years now, doesn't feel that long, and I have just been reading on another forum how neck length is critical to accuracy. I have never experienced an accuracy problem in my 300, even with it's imperfect neck length (according to some).

Now, my question is this, I have recently finished my 338Edge and it has a very short neck in regard to caliber, just as much as the 300, in my experience it has not taken much work to develop very accurate loads in both with known accurate bullets.

Why are these 2 cartridges so accurate if a long neck is the 'done' thing for accuracy, and where is their accuracy coming from if the necks are too short?

Any insight from you guys, it has me perplexed.

Cheers.
MM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: short necks.....what problem?

Long necks are beneficial for 2 things that I can think of. One is reducing heat and abrasion on the throat and the other is to help keep bullets in line (concentric) when being jostled or worked through the mag and chamber, if you seat them deep in a long neck.

Not sure why anyone would say long necks are "critical" accuracy?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

Not a hunting cartridge but the 6 Dasher has a very short neck and is one of the most accurate 600 yd cartridges out there
Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Not a hunting cartridge but the 6 Dasher has a very short neck and is one of the most accurate 600 yd cartridges out there
Yes, but why is it so?
If the belief is that a neck should be at least one caliber long for good accuracy, why do these cartridges go against the grain and shoot far more accurately than most that do have long necks that are generally longer than one caliber.

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I dont believe you can get proper ( enough) tension...i.e..grip on the slug
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Yes, but why is it so?
If the belief is that a neck should be at least one caliber long for good accuracy, why do these cartridges go against the grain and shoot far more accurately than most that do have long necks that are generally longer than one caliber.

Cheers.
I don't think it can be proven the a short necked cartridge can shoot any better OR worse than a long necked. Accuracy is more dependent on other factors. I ve seen a few long necked wildcats developed by some of our members shooting in 1's and 2's

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Working years ago for a ammunitions plant. Case capacity and neck tension were the two most important factors...............Powder capacity was needed more than grain to grain weight to get the worlds most accurate ammunition.
.308 shot 1/2" and less at 600 yds from machine rest.5.56 tracer shot 1.6" and less at 600 yds with ball ammo shooting 1/2" and less. We could change neck tension and miss target.
I shoot a 22-243 AI and it has short neck and is the most accurate rifle I have................Ragged holes.