Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

It shoots!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

It shoots!!!!!

So over the years I've had trouble getting my factory model 70 300wby mag to shoot. I've always shot 180gr hornady because that's what my uncles recommended. Tried different loads with different powders and never could get under an inch at 100yds. After a ton or research on this site about different things that affect accuracy I free floated the stock, torqued the action screws to spec, squared my scope rings and went with a 210gr vld and H1000. This was my first time shooting prone off of a bipod with a rear bag and the first real shooting session in a couple years. I started at 79gr and loaded 3 shot groups at 79, 79.5, 80 and 80.5. 80gr shot .38 at 100yds and 80.5 shot .83. For a bone stock rifle I am super happy!! I am confident that replacing the wood stock with an hs precision with a full bedding block will only improve things along with better optics. Can't wait to stretch it out a bit and see how she does.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
It shoots!!!!!-image.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: It shoots!!!!!

This is the 80.0gr group. I pulled one and knew it when it went off.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
It shoots!!!!!-image.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Looks like you are gettin it goin your way. Had one of those for years myself when I still lived in Canada. Kinda tough to bench rest in factory condition recoil wise aren't they?. I also shot 180 Hornadys in mine and never managed much less than 1".

Have you considered a Bobby Hart accublock laminated stock? I have one on my 7mag and there are going to be more in my future. Very pleased with it and love the looks.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Havnt researched stocks much. Went to midway and the B&C medalist and hs precision are in my price range. $375 is about all I will spend on a stock.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Check out stockysstocks.com They are one of the LRH sponsors.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

You could always ream that chamber to a .300 Ackley Magnum, which is simply a .300 Weatherby Ackley Improved. It pushes the walls out and the shoulder forward to a 40-degree angled shoulder instead of that rounded Weatherby/Venturi shoulder. The Ackley shoulder design is supposed to be better on brass life, too. You can even use your .300 Wby brass, and your .300 Wby neck sizer die to size the necks. I've been doing that for mine till I can get the money to have some custom dies made ($250-350). Kind of a temporary solition to an expensive problem.

.300 Wby (left) formed .300 Ackley (right)

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

I replaced the Wood Stock of my Model 70 with a H S Precision Stock on my .264 & Glass Bedded it & yes it does shoot better by one half inch at 300 yds yes it's a improvement but not much from before 2.88 now after restocking 2.43 inch groups at 300 yds. Would I do it again YES as I wanted a all weather rifle and I really like the H.S. Precision Stock because it fits me great. Good Hunting