Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Shooting Rest -- Caldwell Lead Sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting Rest -- Caldwell Lead Sled

I like mine because I shoot big bores with no break on them and the weight helps when
working up loads and 40 or 50 shots are required.

I don't use sandbags with it because it already weighs enough with out them and on
hard kicking rifles (70 ft/lbs or more) I don't want to restrain the rifle to much and risk
damaging or breaking the stock.

I carpeted the tray and it is a handy place to hold scope caps or even the bolt while
cleaning.

Also when I proof test/fire a rifle with a BLUE PILL (Very Hot load over maximum) I strap it
down to the lead sled and use a lanyard to pull the trigger from a safe place. It normally
moves back 6 or 8 inches but it is the safe way to do it and still control the rifle.

Once the rifle and load are ready and the zero is where I want it then I use sand bags only
to make sure the zero doesn't move when using any kind of rest and your shoulder to
make a shot on game.

They are a great tool if used right.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Here's my sled and snow chains combo . I also rigged it with $1.99 straps.

The new version has a larger tray for barbell weights.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

I have one of the first versions of a caldwell lead sled and I use it a lot for finding out what hard hitting rifles are capable of for accuracy. I bought it when I had a 300RUM and it was money well spent. I use it for sighting in shotgun slugs, 45/70 hot loads, and especially for load development when I want to eliminate human error.

They are great for getting your rifles setup, but once my rifle is good to go, I stand up. Then again, I don't hunt out west like most of you and around here a long shot is 200 yards.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

I used my friends just to try it out and if you like extreme accuracy and know how to properly use a rest then this is not for you. Well for that matter if you are using one or asking about it then you need a little more education on how to properly set up a rifle in a proper rest.

After he learned how to use a rest properly it was sold and he bought my Bald Eagle which I had retired.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

The point of the lead sled isn't to be a "proper rest". It was designed to take as much recoil out of rifles as possible. It's a good rest, but was never designed for the benchrest crowd. It does an outstanding job for what it was designed to do.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard338 View Post
Guys are getting too far from shooting their rifles. If you don't want to shoot your rifle give it to me. F-class has turned into benchrest or worse. Some of these guys with a big trolley full of gear are a joke. They can set up and put a bullet in the target, but they haven't shot anything.
Nothing against anyone here, I'm just thinking about this year's season about to start.
I try to shoot off a blanket with a bipod, and get beat by people with guns on rails!
For my purposes, such a device would be valuable for extensive shooting for multiple loads during sight-in. I used no device for sighting in my .270 three weeks ago and still have a huge bruise on my right shoulder. Yes, I need a softer butt pad, but black/blue areas are like a sunburn; you don't realize the damage until a day or two afterwards.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

I use one all the time and I love it! After I get my loads developed, I then shoot however I'm going to shoot in the field......Rich