Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shooting in the Rain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting in the Rain?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the compliment, Bob. Appreciate it.

But, instead of trying to do the calculations and prove this question on paper, I can only think of one way to convince me that the rain has no effect.

As in Hollywood where they make fake rain, I would like to see a shooter zeroed on a target at a given range, then turn on the showers and see what happens. If he is still on target, my intuition is out of whack. But I have a hard time thinking that the bullet is going to plow through all those rain drops like they are nonexistant. As in no effect. Seems like, at some point, there has to be an effect. Maybe if you could rig sky screens right before the target, and see if the rain slows the bullet down? As I mentioned above, the air is denser with 100% humidity, so why is that different than less dense air at high elevations?

Good hunting. LB

[/ QUOTE ]

Len -- actually the air is less dense with more humidity...water vapor is less dense than air...

JB
Old 11-05-2005, 10:31 AM

Not sure how much rain you are talking about,but i tried to focus on my 1k {Marker} the other day with a lupy 6.5x20x50 12mph wind average to heavey rain for Missouri. Marker is 3`x3` white with dark background and think i might of got a glimps of it but not sure was down to 700 yards before i could even see a full square without it fading in and out. If i understand the effects of water correctly wich i prob dont.if its raining just hard enough u can barely make out a 1k official target that it would be like looking through a glass of water the effect that it would have is the target wouldnt be exactly were it appeared{a little high /low/left or right or a combination of several plus some distortion in exact squareness.But thats way beyond what my little brain can handle anyway so ill just hope that if i can see it clearly when im capable of shooting 1k consistantly that all the other great info i have read here saves my back side from missing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Len -- actually the air is less dense with more humidity...water vapor is less dense than air...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that just pulls my pants down, which is okay but I'm still wondering why my bullet strikes several inches higher in Colorado than at the coast? I probably figured it was because of less barometric pressure? As they say when discussing the speed of jet aircraft, the performance is stated at sea level.

If 100% humidity is "less dense" then, my pathetic logic tells me that the bullet strike will probably be HIGHER?

It keeps getting back to the supposition that rainfall doesn't have any effect on the flight of a bullet. I'm of the opinion, half baked as it may be(?) that practically everything has an effect on any thing....including sunlight or the lack thereof.

Good hunting. quarrelsome, doubting LB

PS also, the above writer seems to grasp my point on the simple visibility issue of shooting in a downpour.

edit: forgot to ask a question that occured to me, at a 1000 yard match, they allow sighters, right? And you make adjustments, right? Rain or shine, right? But, when it's raining you never have to change your zero, right?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that just pulls my pants down, which is okay but I'm still wondering why my bullet strikes several inches higher in Colorado than at the coast? I probably figured it was because of less barometric pressure? As they say when discussing the speed of jet aircraft, the performance is stated at sea level.

ELEVATION = THINNER AIR...

If 100% humidity is "less dense" then, my pathetic logic tells me that the bullet strike will probably be HIGHER?

YES

It keeps getting back to the supposition that rainfall doesn't have any effect on the flight of a bullet. I'm of the opinion, half baked as it may be(?) that practically everything has an effect on any thing....including sunlight or the lack thereof.

Good hunting. quarrelsome, doubting LB

PS also, the above writer seems to grasp my point on the simple visibility issue of shooting in a downpour.

edit: forgot to ask a question that occured to me, at a 1000 yard match, they allow sighters, right? And you make adjustments, right? Rain or shine, right? But, when it's raining you never have to change your zero, right?

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR, DROP IN TEMP = NEED MORE UP, BUT RAIN NO CHANGEE

WE ONLY QUIT SHOOTING WHEN THE RAIN IS SO BAD WE CANT SEE THE TARGETS...BTDT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I HAVE NOT SEEN AN AFFECT IN MY EXPERIENCE.

CHEERS,
JB

[/ QUOTE ]