Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shooting in the Rain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Bronze Member

Shooting in the Rain?

Hi Guys,

What effect does shooting in the rain have on bullet flight?

I took a shot at my 500-yd target this morning in the rain, and it hit about 1.5 MOA low. This is a .243 Win game bullet (Remingtom 100-gr PSPCL) at ~3050 fps off a bipod. The load gives around 1/2-3/4 MOA accuracy. I had been whacking the target regularly at the same temperature. Barometric pressure was 0.5 inHg lower today, I had a 10-mph crosswind, and it was raining -- those were essentially the only changes.

I guess what I am wondering is whether a guy can reasonably compensate for rain. I have never bothered to try any precise shooting in the rain, so this is new to me. Any help is appreciated.

(I have some Berger 95-gr VLDs, but my handloading setup is still mothballed from 10 yrs ago -- will get back to that soon.)

Scott
Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting in the Rain?

The problem is to quantify "rain". Enough rainfall and you can't see past a certain distance though the scope. Too many magnified sparkles. I'd guess you should readjust your parameters. A sunshade helps to keep water from beading on the objective but it's the other end that really messes with your ability to see clearly. I think that if the air density is greater, then you would experience more drop, how significant, can't say?

Good hunting. LB
Old 11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

JB1000Br would know something about this as would almost any of the Williamsport 1000 yd shooters being as the last match was held in the rain. Maybe he can give you some insight.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

I'm not JB, but I do get paid to shoot "things" LR all over the world under any condition, and besides the MET effects, have not noticed any POA/POI differnces caused by the rain. The shooters I work with agree.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Trust me it rains alot in AK. Some places here are measured in feet and not inches for anual rain fall. I havent ever noticed a POI shift due to rain. Its normally temprature and barometric pressure changes that would move your POI that much at that range. Also, was your ammo colder than normal??
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

have shot some good groups in the rain...snow...and even hail a year or two ago...240's made it thru the hail pretty well at Williamsport [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i agree, no affect that i have seen yet...

Was it the first shot from a clean bore?

JB
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

jb1000br,
Have you folks ever thought about the possibility that once a bullet is above certain speed, it's eventually in a different dimension? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img], well you might think it's stupid but throw a base ball in a heavy rain, that ball is wet before is caught, right? and all those little bitty drops hitting it from above have to cause some effect, right? I bet if you could catch a bullet flying over let's say 2000 f/s in extreme rain it wouldn't be wet... Well crazy or not it's interesting... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] But if it was in a different dimension how would it kill a coyote that is in this dimension... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Well... who knows why it's not affected by the rain... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!