Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shooting Backstop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Shooting Backstop

Hello Fellow Riflemen,
I'm building a new shooting range beside my house and wanted your opinions of the backstop that I intend to build.
I am going to use two 10x8" by 10' Creaso bridge ties (bigger than railroad ties) and cut them up into 3'4" sections. There will be 2 rows, or about 20" thick. Am also considering having a 6" gap between the two rows to fill with dirt. I probably won't shoot anything above the .300 Win Mag. Will this backstop be sufficient?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting Backstop

One layer of cross ties would be suffeciend for a good while but it will eventualy get chewed up.

We built a six foot wide by six foot tall bu 6 foot deep box and filled it with dirt and we just use regulat 1/4"plywood and a couple 2x4" to hold it up in front , the wood gets ate up and the dirt in the box/trap get loose but we jjst shovel it back up to the top and replace the wood.
Their is a guy that shoots his 50BMG into it quiet often and we have never had a problem whith it passing through.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Gold Member

Doesn't really answer the question, but as an indicator of bullet penetration of wood.....from somewhere deep in my memory I seem to remember that a 7.62 ball round will zip through 9" of timber and still have enough energy to kill a man on the far side out to about 1200 or so metres.

....I think I'd go for a dirt filled gap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think the thickness of the bridge ties will make much difference. I'd use sand instead of dirt as dirt will most likely not flow back into the "wound" channel.

My back stop is two railroad ties with plywood and sand filling the wide side gap (10"??) This is then backed with large lava rocks.

The only time I get full penetration is when I shoot 338 250gr bullet three shot groups into less than 1". Any bullet into the tie gets full penetration except for 243 and 223s.

Also, the backstop is @ 200yds.

Sand is a much better stopper than dirt.....
Old 10-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Fill a 1 foot wide gap with sand and try to use dry sand and keep it that way. Otherwise you get a wound channel like Roy says.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the input. Going to start on this week with weather permitting. Will get pictures if possible. JohnnyK.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM

on that note, looking to do the same as far as a backstop. I'm just looking to do .22 with friends that come over and something to do myself. Looking to put it up against a hill on property for safety (don't you agree?). I'm afraid, even with the mentioned backstop, that someone aiming incorrectly would allow a bullet to go past the backstop. Common sense would be to shoot directly at the target with the backstop. If had to build a berm, how tall and wide?

thanks

rick