Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

shooting ability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

shooting ability

For those of you that have been following another thread, I have an update that I believe will not be deleted for rules violation.

It has been stated, implied and thought that I must not be a very good shot. I went to a shooting clinic on Saturday. I shot my newly accurized Winchester 70 featherweight in 270 caliber. While trying 3 shot groups with incremental powder charges I shot 3/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards. The instructor had me move out to 450 yards. I have a Nikon 4.5-14 BDC scope on it. I'm shooting at a 5"x7" steel gong off of a benchrest that is not very solid and shooting bags.

My first shot was about a foot and a half high, because I had to guess on how much to hold over. On my second shot, BOOM - WHAP. I HIT THE GONG!!! I shot another 10 rounds and hit the gong 7 times with another 2 only missing to the left by an inch or two according to 2 spotters. So 9 out of 10 would have killed an elk at 450 yards!!! With a featherweight factory Winchester, Nikon scope and no load development!!!

After the instructor explained the results of a ladder test, I put my Magnetospeed chronograph on the rifle and went back to shooting at the gong 450 yards away. First shot was about 4 feet high. Second shot was about a foot and a half high. Third shot hit the gong. Again!!! Out of the next 7 shots, I either hit the gong or missed it by 2 inches or less 5 times, this again with 2 spotters. I had one shot that went high and was 130 fps faster than the average and 1 shot that went about a foot and a half low.

So with a factory featherweight hunting rifle, inexpensive low-powered scope and no load development, I was able to hit a 5x7 gong at 450 yards !!! Yeah, I must not be a very good shot!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: shooting ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
For those of you that have been following another thread, I have an update that I believe will not be deleted for rules violation.

It has been stated, implied and thought that I must not be a very good shot.
I was not subscribed to your deleted thread, but hope you are somehow vindicated with your post. I am a reasonable shot, and definitely do not have a stock rifle that shoots like that. I do have a Pierce custom with a Benchmark barrel that could probably put that to shame - it shoots like a flippin' laser beam.

Anyway, sounds like a good day of shooting! Glad you had fun!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Gold Member

I am not commenting directly on your self-evaluation. The following is how I evaluate myself and is intended as food for thought:

1. The ultimate objective of a rifleman is FIRST round hits. I don't consider myself qualified to shoot at game at any given distance until I can consistently put my bullet where I want it to go on the first try.

2. First round hits from a bench are one thing. Doing it from field shooting positions under field conditions are another thing entirely.

3. I own some very accurate rifles and have developed very accurate handloads to shoot in them. I can zero my rifles for a given range out to 600 yards (the farthest I have shot, so far) and shoot quite well. You wouldn't know any of that if you saw my shooting results when wind and mirage kick in. I'm working on it...

4. Compared to the population at large, I am a very good shot. Shooting matches in a couple of different disciplines has taught me that, compared to serious shooters who posess talent, I am in the bottom third of the population. On a very good day, I MIGHT manage to finish mid-pack.

5. I once met an old man who still held records at Camp Perry. He was shooting shotguns because he had become bored with rifle marksmanship. I doubt that I am in danger of ever reaching the level that man was on. Part of me hopes I never do. IMO, to be a rifleman means never being satisfied with where I am. Rather, to always seek the next challenge when I have conquered a personal goal.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post

It has been stated, implied and thought that I must not be a very good shot. I went to a shooting clinic on Saturday. I shot my newly accurized Winchester 70 featherweight in 270 caliber. While trying 3 shot groups with incremental powder charges I shot 3/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards. The instructor had me move out to 450 yards. I have a Nikon 4.5-14 BDC scope on it. I'm shooting at a 5"x7" steel gong off of a benchrest that is not very solid and shooting bags.

My first shot was about a foot and a half high, because I had to guess on how much to hold over. On my second shot, BOOM - WHAP. I HIT THE GONG!!! I shot another 10 rounds and hit the gong 7 times with another 2 only missing to the left by an inch or two according to 2 spotters. So 9 out of 10 would have killed an elk at 450 yards!!! With a featherweight factory Winchester, Nikon scope and no load development!!!

After the instructor explained the results of a ladder test, I put my Magnetospeed chronograph on the rifle and went back to shooting at the gong 450 yards away. First shot was about 4 feet high. Second shot was about a foot and a half high. Third shot hit the gong. Again!!! Out of the next 7 shots, I either hit the gong or missed it by 2 inches or less 5 times, this again with 2 spotters. I had one shot that went high and was 130 fps faster than the average and 1 shot that went about a foot and a half low.

So with a factory featherweight hunting rifle, inexpensive low-powered scope and no load development, I was able to hit a 5x7 gong at 450 yards !!! Yeah, I must not be a very good shot!!!
I don't know about the other thread your talking about but 4 feet high and 16 inches high at 450 yards on steel or paper is one thing but on animals ,,,not so much...Its all about the equipment needed to place the bullet on target first time every time....no matter what you are shooting at....and spend way more time at the range...a lot more time like most of us have done and are still doing.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme View Post
I don't know about the other thread your talking about but 4 feet high and 16 inches high at 450 yards on steel or paper is one thing but on animals ,,,not so much...
Just to explain a little better, the 4 feet and 16 inches high shots were very apparently due to putting the Magnetospeed chronograph on the barrel. After adjusting for the higher POI with the Magnetospeed, I was again hitting the steel.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I was not subscribed to your deleted thread, but hope you are somehow vindicated with your post. I am a reasonable shot, and definitely do not have a stock rifle that shoots like that. I do have a Pierce custom with a Benchmark barrel that could probably put that to shame - it shoots like a flippin' laser beam.

Anyway, sounds like a good day of shooting! Glad you had fun!
I don't recall the first thread, either...What happened?

But I do know that if someone would have told me that I would have purchased multiple new factory rifles that will shoot 1/2 MOA groups and some shooting 1 ragged hole @ 100 yards, I would have told you that you were full of crap. Strangely enough, I have several that will do it. 2 of my 3 assembled 700's will do it (the 4th one is mocked-up waiting to be taken to the smith for final work), both of my old Ruger 77 MKII's will, and my A-Bolt II and Wby Accumark will all shoot some groups that look like 1 wollered-out hole with the right handloads in them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I don't recall the first thread, either...What happened?
I had a problem with accuracy consistency with a rifle that had been thoroughly worked over and a supposed match grade barrel put on it. I even had a second gunsmith check it out and he couldn't find anything wrong with the stock, bedding, action, bolt or barrel.

It would sometimes shoot 3/8" to 1/2" and then shoot 1 3/8" to 1 7/8" with the same load at 100 yards. I sent the rifle back to the barrel manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, but couldn't much help from them. They only shot one 3 shot group with a fouled barrel and called it good. They told me it must be either shooter error, component error or loading error.

My first thread has been deleted, but several guys also said that because they had a barrel from the same manufacturer, the shooter must be the problem. I just wanted to let them know what I could do with a featherweight hunting rifle with a low cost, low power scope at 450 yards.