Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Shootin' between heartbeats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shootin\' between heartbeats.

Shooting between heartbeats (and breaths) is a must for shooting from a sling, due to the brachial pulse being transmitted through the sling to the rifle. With a solid position, quality sling, & sound technique (and no caffeine) it is small but noticable. If you watch Olympic shooters heading to the ready line, you'll normally see them walking slower than a 100-year-old arthritic patient.

Shooting from a rest or bipod, the pulse effect should be minimal or non-existant. Probably not there at all. This is why F-class & benchrest shooters can be out of shape or handicapped and still be just as competitive as a youngster from the USMC or USAMTU!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

With a solid position, quality sling, & sound technique (and no caffeine) it is small but noticable.

DAMNIT!!! I miss out on all four fundimentals [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Still,, I put out my best score today at 1000 yard any/any... 198-8,, in a light snow. Who said a 10X scope on top of a 19lbs rifle isn't good for match shooting??? That little Nikon Tactical has been the cats ass.....

Seriously,, I have so much other crap going through my head, my heartbeat is't even a consideration. It may just be happening without my knowledge. I'm more focused on squeezing the trigger, and breaking clean with a good sight picture. Oh,, and doing it before the damn wind changed direction!!

When you comin' back down to visit SpeedBump?? You got that barrel all burned out yet? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

FatBoy...
Old 03-31-2003, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Fatboy, a 198-8 is super! Getting used to the sling supported prone I see. Shooting the 6.5-284? I'm hoping to get down there next month to visit you characters again.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

If you can get down this month, make it to Oak Ridge the 26/27th April. It's the State Long Range Championship.

COF is Any/Iron at 600, then Any/Any at 600 on Sat. Sun is Any/Iron, then Any/Any at 1000. Team match each day after main matches are over.

There's going to be a LR clinic Wen/Thu as well. Wednesday Emil Praslik is putting on an iron sight clinic with 80 shots and Thursday Karl "The Animal" (I can't spell his last name) is putting on a any/any clinic with an 80 shot. Karl is an retired Sercret Service man who holds the record for high score any/any at 200-19X and took the Wimbledon home that year.

Both the match and the clinics are opn to F class shooters as well.

Yup,, Shootin' the 6.5x284's yesterday. The new one took high score this time. I got the H4350 workin' with 210M's in the Border barrel.

Now,,,, if I can find a new load for the Green rifle. The H4831SC just isn't cuttin' the mustard any more.

BTW,, did I send you a 1K match schedule for this year yet?

FatBoy...