Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shootin' between heartbeats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Shootin\' between heartbeats.

Do any of you guys or gals out there shoot between heartbeats and claim that is the only way you get your best groups? A buddy of mine gets one hole groups(5 shots)100yds with his 223 700VS shooting that way, but recently said he couldn't feel his heart anymore and his groups slipped to a Godawful 3/16th.He's beside himself. Claims that's his secret.He's Thinkin' of retiring, Give me your thoughts. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Jay
Old 03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shootin\' between heartbeats.

JG
I know what he is talking about, especially when shooting prone. I can see the cross hairs move in an oval patern about 1 1/2" wide x 3/4" high at 100 yards. Of course if I was in better shape and my heart wasn't working so hard it probably wouldn't be so noticable. I try to time it so that I squeeze the shot off in the brief pause between beats. If I was using a rear bag it probably would help a bunch too, but when walking the fields looking for chucks I carry too much as it is.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Jay,
Several years ago while engaged in casual phone conversation with the venerable Sgt. Dean Michaelis - one of the world's preeminent authorities on ultra long range shooting and sniping - I mentioned that I had on numerous occasions over the years heard that [this] was the practice of truly great shooters and snipers. He responded by bursting into laughter and vigorously uttering the words: "That's ********!!!"

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Browning, My bud is shooting on a Sinclair tripod and bag with rear rabbit ear bag, scopelevel, the works, similer to what I use, bipod and rabbit ear, and when I'm shootin' on 24x, reticle don't move one iota off my 1/4" dot I'm pointing at, and accuracy doesn't suck one bit, you got to try one of the Protector bags Sinclairs' has to offer, I got #19 bag, 3/8" flat bottom, love it. DAVE, You know when my buddy told me that I was kinda thinking the same thing. I can't even feel my heartbeat when I'm shootin'. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Jay P.S. My bro lives in Houston, (Somersworth Ave.)
Old 03-27-2003, 09:16 PM

Most shooters will be better served by focusing on sight alignment, shoulder pressure, and follow through when the moment of action is upon them. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Exactly what is "follow through"? Someone wrote, "see the fire". I shoot a .300 win mag and I try to have the recoil hit with total surprise. I can usually tell when its a good one because I see the crosshairs jump out of the bull on recoil. Is this follow through?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:25 AM

Yes, this is something you should always see. With big magnums, and slow burning powder, you will also see a yellowish orange flame fill your scope after the crosshairs begin to move. There is more fire to see with an efficient brake, very little to see with a suppressor. Shooting just before dusk will make the flash easier to notice.