Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Shooters Oasis Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Shooters Oasis Muzzle Brake

A friend of mine who is interested in building a 338RUM talke to a guy from Shooters Oasis who claims the Muzzle brake he designed you do not need ear protection because it is not any louder then a rifle without the brake. Now all the braked rifles I have shot have been louder then without a brake. Anyone using one of these brakes? Frames If you scroll down the page you will see it. Also how is this place for smithing?
Fast, Flat, and Accurate

Unread 03-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Gold Member
I guess if you do that enough times, ear protection is no longer required.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Unread 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Silver Member
I've spoken with the guys at Shooter's Oasis a couple times. Didn't get the feeling that they were interested in answering my questions. I also ordered a set of rings and bases from them over 5 months ago and still haven't received them.
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member
Get some of the physics fellas on here to explain the differences between sound wave travel from the muzzle w/out a brake vs w/a brake.

My shorter response is, Nah.......
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
some of their comments are miss leading certainly about the shooting a 50BMG.

A muzzel brake works by redirecting the exiting gas , typicaly with an unbraked rifle the gas exits pretty much directly away from the shooter this causes a bigger rearward push from the shot , now if you catch that gass and re direct it out to the side then that rear ward push is cut way back but the exiting gas brings noise with it , so basicaly the only way to reduce the recoil without increasing the nois would be to use a brake and make an external chamber around the outside yet leave it open to the front , this will allow the gas to be redirected to the side but be redirected again to the front but by the time its redirectd the second time it has greatly cooled and slowed down , this is precisley how a well made silencer works , by both cooling and slowing down the gas so its exit is slow and controled
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe