Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

SHOOT! what do I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

SHOOT! what do I do?

Here is My delima I ordered a couple of Krieger 6.5 8 twist barrels for a pair of 6.5's I am having built for me and my dad. I only have one custom barrel which is a Krieger and it shoots like nothing I have ever seen. I want the rifles done by christmas and the kriegers wont be done until approximatley the first part of november which will be cutting it close. I happened to look at Liljas website today and decided to ask them some questions. they have 2 of the exact barrels I would order sitting on the shelf! so heres my question.. do I stick with what I know works or try the Liljas and get the rifles done much sooner? I in no way want to give up accuracy but I assume both barrels are about equal in quality . one is cut rifeling one is button rifeling, both are hand lapped and stress relieved.... what do you guys think?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: SHOOT! what do I do?

If it were me, and I wanted it for sure by Christmas; I'd go Lilja and get em headed here ASAP. Just saying this because my luck with custom builds hasn't been very good this past year or so, they all are overdue.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

i put quality over a time line hands down so I guess what I am really asking is where is my money best spent.. Krieger or Lilja?

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Gold Member

I have two rifles with Krieger barrels and I absolutely love my Kriegers! That said, Dan Lilja has a very good reputation and I am sure that any barrels you might get from him would be excellent as well (I have no personal experience with them).

Really, I think the answer to your question lies in your priorities. If you want two custom rifles ready for Xmas, you are already behind the power curve. Your barrels and sundry other parts need to be in the hands of your gunsmith ASAP, as in YESTERDAY!

If you have your heart set on cut rifled barrels from Krieger, and you are OK with waiting for awhile and/or issuing an IOU or a Coming Soon type of announcement at Xmas time, then by all means, wait for your barrels.

As an aside, assuming you are building on actions that Krieger currently accepts for in house work, you might consider having Krieger do some of the work. That could save you a bit of time on the wait (as opposed to waiting for your barrels and then waiting another 6+ months for your finished rifles to come back from your gunsmith).
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

I dont have my heart set on cut rifled barrels, although I LOVE the one I have. The builds are being done on Tikka T3 Actions. And my gunsmith isnt a full time gunsmith and he said I am first in line (maybe thats because it a friend of mine) and getting them done in a timely manner shouldnt be a problem.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Where did you get your T3 actions?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

one of them is my old 25-06 that i shot the barrel out of and the other I just bought a new rifle to take apart.