Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

"Shoot" for Android phone's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: "Shoot" for Android phone's

I have used this to take my .300 rum out to 1025yrds and it has worked great. But like all programs you absolutely have to feed it accurate information.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

i got a droid and i know some of the apps wont work unless you have service, will this work if you dont have service?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

This app will work when you do not have service with one exception. If you do not have service the gps function will not work and will not allow you to retrieve gps data for altitude, humidity and barometric pressure. The program will still calculate data, You just have to enter it manually rather than it automatically doing it after you press the button to retrieve that data. A way that you cold get past this is to use a Kestrel Weather station with bluetooth. But to answer your question in short. Yes, it will function when there is no service for your phone.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I have it, the only difference I have found from Exbal ( which was on my old HTC) is that Exbal rounds off the MOA for you, where "shooter" doesnt. personally I like that aspect, makes me make the final decision.

Bryan, my only moan, and IF this could be adressed and avaible as an upgrade, AWSOME! no COSINE input dude! got this fancy redundant cosine indicator on the side of me scope that I cant use,and practically speaking its a royal pain in the backside holding a phone on top of my rifle, then pressing the "get" button then the "hold" button" while kepping the crosshairs on target.

This is my only complaint about it, other than that. all good

300WSMMAD
Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
Topshot,

The program is called Shooter. I provided the solver for that program, and assisted with some of the advanced features like spin drift and coriolis. It uses a point mass solver and matches JBM nearly perfectly. In other words, if you want to know what trajectory it will output, you can run JBM to see. Of course the interface it totally different. You can bring weather in from GPS, or blue-tooth link with a kestrel. The rifle and ammo libraries are very convenient and can be backed up online.

Of course I recommend this program, but if you have any specific questions about how it works I'll be happy to answer them.

Take care,
-Bryan

BTW, I've only had two droid phones, the HTC and the DroidX. For running the Shooter program, the only difference is screen size in favor of the X, however the HTC is plenty adequate.
Bryan,
Thanks for the info,
I have bought a HTC phone and will give the program a try over the next few weeks. I am sure it is great. I am a fan of the JBM online program.
I have been reading a thread on "Shooter" over at the "Hide" it goes on forever but has lots of info as well. Seems most users like it and updates have fixed most requests very quickly.

Buy the way, congratulations on your Queens win while down under recently, well done. If you are ever down this way again you should spend some time hunting. Plenty available.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

I've only been using it a few days, but love the program. The user interface is top-shelf. Obviously built by an engineer who is a shooter - like me!

Seriously, can't say enough about the features and presentation of the solutions and data.

I also use Ballistic FTE and both programs provide similar solutions from what I can tell so far. My testing has not been rigorous to-date. Right now the snow is piled high where I am, so I'll need some warm weather to delve further into Shooter. But, I can tell you that you'll be more than happy to have parted with your $9 for this program.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Bronze Member

300WSMMAD,
I agree with you about the cosine input. I too have nice cosine indicators mounted on my scopes and it would be a great upgrade if the software could directly take cosine inputs.