Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Shilen Savage Barrels???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member

Shilen Savage Barrels???

Thinking about starting a build on a Savage/Stevens action and planting a barrel on it. Question is: Which one???

Pretty set on the .308 Win. cartirdge, but does anybody have experience with the Shilen pre-threaded pre-chambered barrels for Savage actions? Looks like a heck of a pipe for $335.

Any other companies make pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrels that fit Savage actions?

Ultimate goal is to build a solit 1/2MOA rifle for all-round use in the Pacific Northwest for game hunting, targets, varmints, and everything else a rifle is used for. (I don't want the rifle to be the weak link in the chain).

EH
Old 04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shilen Savage Barrels???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNYBOOBOO View Post
Thinking about starting a build on a Savage/Stevens action and planting a barrel on it. Question is: Which one???

Pretty set on the .308 Win. cartirdge, but does anybody have experience with the Shilen pre-threaded pre-chambered barrels for Savage actions? Looks like a heck of a pipe for $335.

Any other companies make pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrels that fit Savage actions?

Ultimate goal is to build a solit 1/2MOA rifle for all-round use in the Pacific Northwest for game hunting, targets, varmints, and everything else a rifle is used for. (I don't want the rifle to be the weak link in the chain).

EH
Yes, I have a Shilen pre-fit on my Savage action. It's an 8" twist 28" Stainless Varmint 7mmWSM.

They are good barrels for the money.

Here is NSS or Accuracy Arms price structure for Stainless Select Match. $269- 26" any standard Savage taper. Add $20 for 28" and $40 for 30"

Here is some other makers with Savage pre-fits:
Lothar-Walther
Pac-Nor
McGowen
Shilen
Brux
Douglas via SSS
Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

RIGHT ON!!! That's exactly what I was asking about. How's the accuracy of your setup (with preferred qualitly handloads)?

Wanting to build a 1/2 moa rifle, I'd start with a Savage action, Shilen barrel, aftermarket trigger-assembly-group, and a Stockade thumbhole stock. Like I said, it's going to be an all-round rifle and will not be perfect for any one style of shooting but should be good for several.

EH
Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

I've heard many good things about the Shilen barrels..but a buddy of mine had his gunsmith spec both a Shilen and a McGowen Savage barrel at the same time.
The McGowen had much less run out than the Shilen did. McGowens only come in the Match Grade as well.
I'm quit impressed with the 308 and 6mm BR McGowens I've put on my Savages. In fact I've got a 300WM McGowen on the way as we speak.
Either will make a great shooter.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Bronze Member

E.A. Brown also has Savage pre-fit barrel that are currently selling for $269 and shipping. My EABCO 260 Rem barrel is shooting just over half inch with my handloads. They do foul almost as bad as factory Savage barrels but mine is pretty easy to clean now after 150 rounds.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 PM

i also was wondering about the pre-threaded an chambered barrel for my build i want to commence. any opinions on what i should/should not buy would be much appreicated

at the moment this is what i have in mind:
-Rem 700 XCR II rifle (already have it in 300WSM)
-barrel (shilen prethreaded an chambered, but any better suggestions would be helpful)
-trigger ?????
-stock(looking at mcmillan game scout, but i like the a3 sporter also because i will be making off hand shooting as well as prone)
-optics?????

i Have a range of about $3000-$3500

Any tips/help will be awesome as i have never had a rifle built before!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Bronze Member

I just built a Savage .308 with a Shilen prefit barrel. I did the 1 in 12 twist 22" long with the heavy varmint contour. I went with the chromoly match grade to save a few bucks. I also did a B&C Medalist stock and bedded it with bedrock. I've taken it to the range a couple of times and shooting all clean cold bore shots it is consistently shooting half MOA or better.

So Shilen builds some good barrels. I haven't tried any of the other companies barrels.