Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Shilen barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have a friend that shoots ALOT of black powder guns and he uses Badger barrels , Ihaven't heard of anybody using them for centerfire rifles , their are actualy a bunch of barrel makers out their alot of whom most folks have never heard , the big names are the guys that do it out of big shops due to high demand rather than out of a garage , not saying that the smaller guys barrels arn't good but the Kreiger , Lilja , Hart , Barlein , Shilen , Spencer , Schnider , Rock Creek , Broughton , Obermeyer and on and on are generaly the tops makers you see and hear about. Generaly for the most part all these guys barrel cost with in $25 of eachother.

I look at what caliber I'm gonna be shooting to help make my decision ,if I'm planning a 6mm-O6Ai to shoot the heavy VLD style bullet at warp speed then I know I need a fast twist probably button rifled , preferably with 5 or more grooves , as the lesser groove barrles help tear bullets up , but I'f I were looking for a 308 to shoot 175gr Sierra Match Kings for as long as possible then I'd likely choose a cut rifled barrel with 3-4 grooves.

Differant barrel makers are known for their specific barrels , like Hart may have a great drill and button right now that making the record setting barrels and so on.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

I Have 2 Shilen Bbls

I sent my 300 RUM and 7mm Rem mag to Shilen in 2002. They did an excellent job of rebarreling. Each barrel is a #4 contour. The 7mag is 24" and the 300 is 28".

I do not recall turn around time but it was not long.

If the folks as Shilen do any less of a job, it does not show at the range. These 2 rifles are among my least finicky and easiest to find a load and I've killed a lot of big game with each.

Last evening was my first time at the range testing the 168 Berger VLDs in the 7mag. I only loaded up ammo to test for max load. I used half grain increments of Retumbo. Even though each shot had a different powder charge, they all hit inside of 3/4" at 100 yards. The bullets were seated to just touch the lands. I found this to be rather remarkable and will be doing final range tests tomorrow.

Last edited by Derek M.; 04-30-2008 at 04:49 PM.